Talk

Advanced search

Urban Saints - imparting Christian values to teens or cult?

(7 Posts)
yearofthehorse Sun 23-Nov-14 12:31:46

Was wondering if anyone or their children have any experience of this Christian movement and how they feel about it. It's very popular amongst teens in our town but there's something about it that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

bigbluestars Sun 23-Nov-14 13:18:25

All religion is a cult to me so I wouldn't see thgis as any different.

niminypiminy Sun 23-Nov-14 13:58:40

Urban Saints is the new name of the Crusaders Union, a Christian mission group formed in 1906. They run youth activities, camps and so on, and are well known as an evangelical Christian organisation. Are you asking because one of your children goes, or because you've heard of them and want to know more, in which case their web site may help you here. Or is this a suspicious 'they're evangelical Christians out to get our young people' kind of query?

BackOnlyBriefly Sun 23-Nov-14 14:53:20

They have been around a while. They used to be called 'The Crusaders' but changed it to avoid offending Muslims.

They won't kidnap them - not that kind of cult, but yeah they are 'out to get our young people' that being the point.

That's not to say they won't do interesting things in the meantime.

yearofthehorse Sun 23-Nov-14 15:09:26

Thanks, will check out the website.

mummytime Sun 23-Nov-14 15:12:56

You can tell its not a cult, because they encourage their young people to go to local churches.

If you are non-christian you might not approve. ITs relatively harmless, but then my DS didn't want to go and our local one is boys only (they were talking about starting one for girls but I'm not sure what happened to that).

stressedHEmum Sun 23-Nov-14 18:55:09

My friend works for them. Yes they are quite evangelical in a proselytising way, but people who send their kids along know what they ar getting into. They want to spread the Gospel but they are not a cult. As pp said, the encourage youngsters to go along to their local church, whatever stripe of Christianity that may be.

They organise a lot of fab things for young people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now