Talk

Advanced search

A Christian prayer thread for Autumn/Winter

(991 Posts)
Tuo Thu 30-Oct-14 01:17:50

Welcome to our new prayer thread for autumn/winter. This is a safe and supportive place of prayer, where regulars, occasional visitors and lurkers, committed Christians and those just dipping a toe into the water are all equally welcome. Come and leave a prayer, tell us what's going on in your life, bring your worries, hopes, fears and joys to God, and know that you will be prayed for.

We pray, in particular, for...

... amberlight, for her work raising awareness of the ways in which we can work to make life easier for our autistic friends, and for her to know love and acceptance wherever she goes; also thanking God for her recent 'all-clear' at her annual cancer check-up;

... BlackEyedSusan, for all the many things which she has to juggle in her life as a single parent; in particular, for her DS to get adequate support so that he is less stressed at school; also for her DD and for her mum, and for BES to find the RL support that she needs;

... BlessedAssurance, for life with her two LOs, and for her family who are far away;

... DontstepontheMomeRaths, for her life as a single mum, for God to provide if her XH is successful in training for a new role, and for the wonderful work she does through her church supporting people going through separation and divorce;

... DutchOma, as she continues to miss Bob; thanking God for the wonderful support that she provides for so many on here; and praying for her relationship with her DD, in particular;

... Gingercurl, for her work situation; and for the relationship between her brother and sister to improve;

... howtoapproachthis for physical and emotional healing; and for a good bond between her and her DD;

... Kaykat, continuing to pray for her as she goes through the stressful and painful process of divorce; praying, in particular, that she is able to find good ways of supporting her DS, and for him to find renewed happiness in the coming weeks;

... MadHairDay, for her health; for peace of mind about the choice of secondary school for her DS; and for her DD to find friendship and acceptance;

... MrsPixieMoo, thanking God for her baby DD; and praying for a new home where the family can be really happy;

... Pipbin, for her IVF treatment - for her to find support and a positive way forward, whatever the outcome;

... PositiveAttitude, for her new studies and her work as a Deacon in her church; for her mum, who has dementia; and for her DD1 to find one or more special friends;

... PurplePidjin, for a more peaceful life;

... QuestionofFaith, for her and for her DH - for his depression to lift and for them to find ways to rebuild their lives;

... and for a poster we won't name but whose situation is known to God, praying that she is safe and supported.

We pray also for all regular and occasional visitors including: ALittleFaith, Badvoc, BlueTinkerbell, CharlotteCollins, cloutiedumpling, JugglingFromHereToThere, ktef, MaryBS, niminypiminy, PandaG, RoomForALittleOne, SEStheBrave, thegreenheartofmanyroundabouts, tunnocksteacake, weegiemum, and for anyone I've forgotten to name-check (don't take it personally, please!). And we pray for those who read and pray but don't post, for those who need our prayers but are afraid or too uncertain to post them, and for all those known to us in our own lives who need God's love.

Keep Your people, Lord,
in the arms of Your embrace.
Shelter them under Your wings.
Be their light in darkness.
Be their hope in distress.
Be their calm in anxiety.
Be strength in their weakness.
Be their comfort in pain.
Be their song in the night. Amen

[post edited by MNHQ]

Dutchoma Thu 30-Oct-14 08:20:47

Thanks TUO, such a wonderful round-up of needs and joys.

PA what a break-through. Praying that your dd1 will find many blessings in her work in America.
TUO, I too found a message from Santa@Mumsnet in my email, so many blessings have come to me this year through Mumsnet, I don't think I would have survived without it.

PositiveAttitude Thu 30-Oct-14 11:05:43

Marking my spot. Thanks Tuo

amberlight Thu 30-Oct-14 11:06:33

Thanks, Tuo smile
Keeping everyone in prayers

PurplePidjin Thu 30-Oct-14 11:30:29

brew

DontstepontheMomeRaths Thu 30-Oct-14 12:13:44

grin at Summer in the OP. How about Indian Summer? It's been lovely. I haven't needed my heating on at all in Oct.

GingerCurl Thu 30-Oct-14 17:19:29

Thank you TUO

cloutiedumpling Thu 30-Oct-14 19:59:54

Thank you TUO. I don't post much but I do love these threads. I really like that these prayer threads have people from different branches of the Christian church and that we can come together and focus on the important things.

I've had the heating on here for a few weeks. It's getting cold up here!

Questionoffaith Thu 30-Oct-14 20:22:21

Marking place and thanks Tuo smile

DontstepontheMomeRaths Thu 30-Oct-14 22:16:50

<waves to cloutie and hands her a jumper>

Might hang out some washing tomorrow. It maybe 21 apparently?!?!

Off to bed but can I ask for prayer for a mum from school? Marriage has recently ended, her ex is being very abusive and has stopped all maintenance and is poisoning their dd and now her mum is dying.

DontstepontheMomeRaths Thu 30-Oct-14 22:17:45

Hmm on phone and my message to cloutie has disappeared? It said 'waves to cloutie and hands her a jumper'.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 31-Oct-14 23:32:47

no heating here yet either... the man downstairs has his on and it goes off about 9. heating on at mums as her house leaks heat.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 01-Nov-14 12:36:17

here begins (continues?) the great clean andtidy. I am already losing the will to live....

DontstepontheMomeRaths Sat 01-Nov-14 14:19:18

I've been feeling that way all day but I'm looking after friends DD later so I need to at least hoover and pick up strewn toys...

I have done some washing.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 01-Nov-14 16:01:15

hoping that you are making progress, hoovering has been done and toys have not been restrewn (which usually happens here)

I have done one load of washing and due to the sun it is well on the way to being dry. another half load done and hung up to dry. made a good attempt at the floor. ex finally arrived and was sent down with recycling and bins.

we just have too much stuff in too small a space.

ZingOfSeven Sat 01-Nov-14 16:11:43

Hi everyone.

I can't even remember when I last posted so just a quick update.

We moved to our new home in May, then had our baby, Elijah Timothy in July. He is already 3.5 months old. Doing well, adored by all his siblings of course.

I had biliary colic in August and was in hospital just a week after I turned 40. (Elijah was baptised the day after my birthday, lovely days but tainted with me already being in pain)
Scan confirmed I had gallstones, which caused obstruction, infection and jaundice.

It was inevitable that I'd need surgery, I was put forward as an urgent case and
I had my gallbladder removed this Monday. Op went well and it was good timing as the gallbladder was inflamed again. God's blessing of course.

I'm ok, so far recovering well enough - can't lift anything not even baby atm so my mum is here for a month to help.

Despite all the ups and downs of the past 6 months and feeling God's presence, grace, love and helping hand I still struggle with praying.
I hate that I am not able to pray like I used to. I haven't read the Bible in ages and I avoid going to church nowadays. It's not good.
I want to believe in praying but I don't know how. It's not something that can be forced. The struggle continues.

I hope you're ok and don't mind me barging in like this, again.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 01-Nov-14 16:51:25

hoping that you have a speedy recovery.

you do not have to believe for it to be true. praying for a breakthrough.

Dutchoma Sat 01-Nov-14 17:28:42

Zing, how lovely to see you. Sorry you have been unwell.
Sometimes praying is just something you can do for others but not for yourself. Sometimes you cannot do it at all. To me it often feels like 'straphanging', I hold on for dear life crying 'help'. Sometimes all I can do is sit quietly and think nice thoughts. Be kind to yourself. Seven children, a house move and a gallstone operation is no picnic.

cloutiedumpling Sat 01-Nov-14 19:24:03

Sorry to hear you've been unwell Zing. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and congratulations on baby Elijah. You've been through so much. How well does Elijah sleep? If you're coping with sleep deprivation too you must be exhausted.

Dutchoma Sat 01-Nov-14 21:02:54

As TUO is away for the week I thought I would post as she usually does, some part of the Northumbria evening service. I always find these prayers very beautiful and just what you need to go into the night at peace.

So tonight we pray for TUO on her travels, for Zing to feel better soon and to cope with her large family, and for BES in her attempts to tidy up.

And for all who read this threat but don't post.

May God shield us;
may God fill us;
may God keep us;
may God watch us;
may God bring us this night
to the nearness of His love.

Tuo Sun 02-Nov-14 06:18:26

Thank you Oma. Just about to get on a plane so that was appropriate!

Thinking of you all, but especially Zing. Praying for a swift recovery.

blush at 'summer' in OP. Bad c&p error! That's going to bug me for the life of the thread now!

See you all from the other side of the Atlantic!

BlackeyedSusan Sun 02-Nov-14 09:40:41

we will have to fill it up quickly then... wink

Tuo we really appreciate the hard work you do preparing the thread. mistakes are a lot better than having to do the thread ourselves!

BlackeyedSusan Sun 02-Nov-14 10:12:03

ds has just handed me a notice... "no going church"

Does not sound promising on the getting him ready front.

DontstepontheMomeRaths Sun 02-Nov-14 14:32:26

Don't let it bug you TUO. I was teasing. You do a great job.

PurplePidjin Sun 02-Nov-14 17:28:15

May I have a slightly selfish prayer please? I'm making ds a toy kitchen for his birthday later this month. The first coat of varnish has had 2 hours (1 hour to touch dry, 4 to completely set) and I've done a Hammerite patch for a draining board too. I need a dry couple of hours of no rain so it'll be ok when I put the tarp back over it <possibly asking a bit much>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: