Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Orthodox Christians knocking about?

(14 Posts)
SchrodingersFerret Wed 08-Oct-14 17:14:09

Just wondered if they were represented on MN at all?

ARainyDay Thu 09-Oct-14 23:28:45

What's one of those?

SchrodingersFerret Fri 10-Oct-14 08:51:03

Eastern or Oriental Orthodox. Often designated by area, like Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox etc. but not exclusively. Use icons and stuff in their worship. I wondered if there were any Orthodox mums on here.

DrCoconut Mon 20-Oct-14 22:23:06

My mum is an Orthodox Christian.

LadyWithLapdog Mon 20-Oct-14 22:35:17

I was baptised Greek Orthodox but I've been an atheist since I can remember. Why are you asking? Is there any big festival coming up? Isn't St Dimitri around this time?

LadyWithLapdog Mon 20-Oct-14 22:37:11

Yes! St Dimitri 26 October. Why did I remember that when I forget hundreds of more important things?!

Jessbags001 Fri 24-Oct-14 17:45:16

Ooh, yes I am! New to MN though so no idea if there are any groups etc.

TeaspoonAndAnOpenMind Tue 11-Nov-14 09:56:19

I'm interested in Orthodoxy, though I'm not sure I'm cut out for it. It's quite a vigorous style of Christianity from what I can tell.

Jessbags001 Tue 11-Nov-14 20:13:28

What's your background Teaspoon? I had an Anglican background before converting to Orthodoxy 3 years ago and don't find it any more or less demanding (if that's what you mean by vigorous); it's just different but with some differences that I prefer. Having said that, it's exactly the same in all the ways that really matter - Christian is Christian is Christian after all! In what sort of ways did you feel you might not be cut out for it?

TeaspoonAndAnOpenMind Tue 11-Nov-14 21:02:23

Hi. I've got a baptist background - although I'm currently a fairly fluffy Anglican. Yes, I meant somewhat demanding in terms of the fasting and prayers and venerating and prostrating. I have an Orthodox prayer book which I use most days, but I'm a bit nervous about stepping any further.

But I do love the relentless focus on the love of God and the acceptance of the mysterious.

Jessbags001 Fri 14-Nov-14 10:29:12

I wouldn't let that put you off; you can ease yourself in gently and see how you find it.

I found some of the things that initially made me feel like Orthodoxy was a bit full-on turned out be surprisingly beautiful and freeing.

For example, confession. I didn't go for AGES after converting (maybe 2 years) as I was nervous of it. But when I did pluck up the courage it was fine. After going a few times I really felt a release and reconciliation with God.

Have you been to an Orthodox service?

TeaspoonAndAnOpenMind Fri 14-Nov-14 14:10:02

I haven't, no - I'm not sure about local services, but my Orthodox priest friend runs a service in a church plant in Derby, I think, which is a heck of a journey for me. The church plant is pretty much english, whereas churches closer to us are more ethnic based, which I confess, I find a bit intimidating. I know that's probably quite stupid of me.

Jessbags001 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:31:41

No, I totally get that.

The first Orthodox service i went to was an Easter service at a Greek church in London. It was all in Greek and about 6 hours long. It was certainly interesting, but I didn't feel remotely inspired to go back! I now attend a super-friendly Antiochian Orthodox church up North. The congregation is a mix of English Anglican converts (including the Priests), Russians, Bulgarians, and Romanians.

Is Derby far because you're coming from the North or the South? I know of quite a few Orthodox services dotted around up North - Doncaster, Sheffield, Manchester, Chesterfield, Birmingham.

(By the way, I'm really not trying to persuade you to become Orthodox specifically, just to encourage you if it's something you're interested in. I don't think it matters a jot what denomination of Christian you are, all have their things that they do better than others!)

TeaspoonAndAnOpenMind Sat 15-Nov-14 14:47:06

I think Doncaster and Stoke on trent are the nearest British orthodox to us, and that's a fair step away. It's getting my husband to agree with us all going, tbh, and that's the material point. It's what keeps it 'hypothetical'. I have been in contact with a priest who gave me advice about my prayer life, so that's something real, at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now