Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a Quaker? Atender, Member or just interested!

(14 Posts)
funkystars123 Sun 10-Aug-14 17:37:17

Hi,

I am a 42yr old mum of 3, was a Quaker in my youth and about 5 years ago started attending my local meeting... DCs and HB really liked attending and I felt 'at home' became a member last year and have just been to our first yearly meeting gathering- wonderful, exhausting and uplifting all at the same time ..

any other Friends or friends around?

Pollybun Wed 27-Aug-14 18:22:00

Hi, I’m a Quaker. 53 yr old mum with a grown-up DS and 2 DGSs. Been a fully fledged Quaker for about 2yrs now after attending for years. I’ve never yet been to a Yearly Meeting, planned to go this year but was fully booked up when I finally decided to get round to it. Lots to do there?

stoppedlurking56 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:34:15

I am interested...?

SocksRock Wed 27-Aug-14 18:52:47

Yes, I grew up in a Quaker family and am now an irregular Attender at my local Meeting. It is a very important part of me, although I don't get to MfW very often.

ScrumpyBetty Sat 04-Oct-14 20:38:45

I've been to a few meetings and would like to go more, but find it hard as I have a neatly 2 year old. The Quakers are such a lovely, peaceful community.

JugglingFromHereToThere Sun 02-Nov-14 18:48:11

Hi all, Yes, I'm a Quaker. My local faith community (Meeting) has helped me get through some difficult times this summer (we've had a very sad family bereavement this year) Being part of that community means a lot to me.
Also went to YMG in Bath in the summer, which I also loved, though was slightly knackering.
Have come back on spiritual forum to look for two other lovely threads - the christian prayer thread (though don't always identify as christian), and the being thankful thread. Both of those have also helped me a lot this year especially. Love to all x

JugglingFromHereToThere Sun 02-Nov-14 18:53:53

A neatly two year old ScrumpyBetty - surely an unusual phenomenon grin
Sorry blush

ocelot41 Sat 22-Nov-14 06:36:09

No, but I am interested. I have been thinking recently and some of the most quietly powerful, good people I have ever met have been Quakers. And I would like to be a better person than I know I am. I am trying to get my courage together to go along.

ScrumpyBetty Sun 11-Jan-15 20:48:42

Hello juggling - was re-reading this thread and realised I recognised you from the gratitudes thread I've just posted on
Ha! Should have read a nearly 2 year old blush
I really want to start going to my local Quaker meeting this year. I'm trying to pluck up courage as I think it would be so good for me....although I wouldn't get to go to the meetings so much, unless DH could babysit, otherwise I would have to sit in with DS in the children's group. Still, it would be a good way to get to know some other Quaker families.

funchum8am Sun 11-Jan-15 20:54:35

I'm interested...did Quaker Quest at Friends House at Euston about ten years ago but have never found courage to go to a local meeting.

I am about to move a long way so may start to attend in my new home town as part of my new life there.

ScrumpyBetty Sun 11-Jan-15 20:58:37

Good luck with your move funchum let us know how it goes if you do start going to a local meeting.

BlodynBach Tue 20-Jan-15 08:49:01

If you want to find out more about your local Friends meeting then please visit this website: www.quaker.org.uk/fam
You can arrange to meet a Quaker before you attend a meeting if you feel nervous or want to find out more first. You could also visit different meetings to see which might suit you.
My DS & me have been attending for 3 years and the opportunity to sit in silence in such a comforting & supportive atmosphere is lovely. DS is the only child at our meeting but he love going & attends voluntarily.

ScrumpyBetty Tue 20-Jan-15 18:58:27

How old is your DS Blody ?
I would love to start going, my biggest worry is taking my extremely energetic 2 year old DS, but I have found out that my local Quaker meeting does childrens meetings too, so that would be an option.

funchum8am Wed 21-Jan-15 11:14:14

I've looked up the local meeting for when we move next month and it isn't far, so logistics are fine as DH or DM will happily have the DC (eldest is baptised Catholic as DH's family are Catholic, though DH himself doesn't actually go to church any more...DS will be baptised in due course too.). So as long as the meeting is friendly I should be fine to start trying it out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: