Talk

Advanced search

Catholic funeral

(4 Posts)
midwifeandmum Tue 01-Apr-14 17:22:03

I was wondering if anyone could help. Im attending a catholic funeral in church tomorrow, afterwards we are attending the crematorium.

I was wondering what happens during a catholic funeral. I attend every sunday mass with my daughter (im non catholic but start rcia in september). Is the mass the same as sunday mass. Im not to sure as I have never been to a catholic funeral since I was a child

Thankyou in advance

If it is anything like a C of E funeral in a church there may or may not be a mass. If there is one it is happens in the middle of the funeral liturgy and it is the same as the normal Sunday one. The service at the crematorium is the committal and is likely to be very short.

I'm sure someone who is RC will be along shortly to give you better information.

HelpfulChap Tue 01-Apr-14 18:50:36

The funeral mass is incorporated within the normal mass. Coffin at the front and a few words about the deceased from the priest along with hymns picked by the deceased's loved ones. All very respectful.

LEMmingaround Tue 01-Apr-14 18:54:46

It can vary. My father's funeral was very staid. With mass said but k wept to a minimum. My cousin's sons funeral was full mass including a vigil the previous evening. His friends gave speeches and someone sang a pop ballad! He was on 24 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now