Talk

Advanced search

Please advise me-Holy communion

(12 Posts)
katmat3 Sun 30-Mar-14 12:23:20

Hi
I am a long time reader of mumsnet and i extracted lots of information and good advice.
I have two dd's and in a two months time they will be having Holy communion. I still didn't buy dresses because the prices are (for my current situation) just extraordinary.
I was trying to find less expensive dresses but still ��� is to much for me.
Can you please advice me if you know any shop (they need to try them) in London that they are selling simple but classy dresses or if i can hire them just for a day.Or if someone is selling their second hand hc dress.
We are RC if it makes any difference and other parents are spending so much moneyand i don't want them to be or to feel different.
Thank you for any advice.

guccigirly Sun 30-Mar-14 12:33:49

Go to your local T K Maxx. There are two in my area and I have seen the most beautiful communion dresses that were originally over £100 each and are selling at £20-25 each. Call them first to check they have them in stock. Good luck !

Annunziata Sun 30-Mar-14 12:33:54

How about BHS? (I hope my link works.

And Marks and Spencers have lovely little white shoes, and frilly socks.

capsium Sun 30-Mar-14 14:42:58

Debenhams have some too

www.debenhams.com/kids/occasionwear

capsium Sun 30-Mar-14 14:46:34

direct.asda.com/george/girls/dresses-outfits/flower-embellished-party-dress/G004486469,default,pd.html

As dam but needs a little white cardigan perhaps?

capsium Sun 30-Mar-14 14:47:11

^Asda. Typo.

Whyjustwhy Sun 30-Mar-14 14:48:54

A quiet word with their teacher, or whoever is running the classes, and you may find that they are aware of a parishioner with an older daughter who would be willing to let you borrow a dress for the day.

gingerdodger Sun 30-Mar-14 15:55:47

Good idea to ask about, there are usually quite a few people willing to lend dresses or sell on. Some of the dresses in our group have been worn several times. Also worth shopping around. My daughter's was £30 in a sale in a bridal shop.

CorrieDale Sun 30-Mar-14 16:24:24

eBay? I love eBay! If you are handy with a needle then you could maybe make them? Or try Etsy or Folksy for handmade by someone else.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 30-Mar-14 20:53:48

Monsoon? I got dd's last year, whole outfit, frock, tights, shoes and headband for £70.

Ebay have the same dress for about £20 now, as it's last season's I suppose.

Or Debenhams, anywhere that does bridesmaid dresses really.

wigglesrock Mon 31-Mar-14 08:38:09

I know you want a shop but try Dunnes website. My dd made hers last year. I got her dress in a communion shop - but it was on sale. I had looked at TK Maxx, Debenhams, BHS. I got a plain white cardigan, white ankle socks & a pair of white shoes from H&M, although Tescos did great ones for about 5 pounds.

Do you have a St Vincent de Paul charity shop? They've loads of communion dresses atm.

katmat3 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:36:39

Hi
Sorry for not coming back earlier on- i just didn't have spare time...I am overwhelmed with so many lovely replies.
I went to local TK MAX and all dresses are small but beautiful.
I will look in Moonson,Debenham and BHS this weekend.
I need to also look for a bridal shops which i don't even know where to look for.
You were such a great help and support.
Also i will look for a charity shop if they are local...
Thank you so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now