mindfulness please

(13 Posts)
mouses Thu 20-Mar-14 10:01:14

can anyone give advice, links or info on where to start with mindfulness?

books, download info or cd's?

any experiences youd like to share? thanks x

OneEggIsAnOeuf Thu 20-Mar-14 10:21:19

Hi - i saw your other thread and wondered about suggesting this. You may be able to access a course for free via the nhs (in my area you can self-refer though i got the details from the gp). The BeMindful website has a list of courses in different areas and also offer an online course for £60.

Book-wise the one i've round most helpful is this one. It also comes with a cd of the exercises and meditations which is really helpful. Even without practising it gives you a lot of insight into why you respond like you do. In terms of info this website is a really good starting point, as is the book it is based on.

I hope you give it a go. It changes how you see your thoughts so they no longer have the same power over you, and gives you the tools to respond differently in stressful situations. I had a major breakdown about 10 years ago, and while i've dealt with the depression the anxiety has been much harder. Mindfulness has been way and above the most helpful approach i've tried. It does take work and commitment, but it will pay you back.

MadamBatShit Thu 20-Mar-14 11:09:13

There are a few threads on this, maybe have a read:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/a1776395-Mindfulness-Is-it-for-real
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/a1937225-Mindfulness-what-is-it-and-is-it-any-good-for-depression

I recommend listening to some podcasts or guided meditations from:
dharmaseed
Tara Brach is great, Jack Kornfield, Pema Chodrun..
I have been practicing for years and it has helped me tremendously with depression and anxiety.

mouses Thu 20-Mar-14 14:09:08

thankyou both for your links and help.

oneEgg ive been trying to get help from nhs but they are so under-presser i guess they cant see to everyone?! i was suppose to be receiving therapy (cbt) but nothing ever came of it. SO im going to try and help myself. smile

i will go through all the links you have shared, thanks again. thanks

lucyhanscl Mon 07-Apr-14 18:47:45

I suffer terribly from anxiety and find my mind so hard to control when it starts spiralling. I have been wondering about mindfulness and am so relieved to find this thread with the advice. I will definitely be looking into it further as I can't live on the tablets the doctor gave me, they make me like a zombie and I don't find therapy helpful. So thank you! And mouses, please let me know how you get on x

serendipityspeaks Thu 10-Apr-14 18:09:39

I would highly recommend "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. Years ago I tried to get into the Power of Now and it just didn't work for me, then a couple of months ago I saw this book and felt compelled to buy it even though my mind was saying it was 'new age nonsense'! But this has been so helpful in making me feel at peace.

Weegiemum Thu 10-Apr-14 18:52:56

I'd highly recommend "The Compassionate Mind" by Paul Gilbert for this. My clinical psychologist used these ideas of compassion along with mindfulness and it has made a huge difference to my function. At last I've learned that I'm worth loving, even by myself!

sizzy Sun 13-Apr-14 23:06:29

I am a certified trainer in Mindfulness and offer one to one or small group sessions. However if you just want to find out what it is all about and how it can really help you, then have a look at my free resources page online.
www.scoop.it/t/mindful-or-mind-full
or crocuscoaching.co.uk/mindfulness/

I've helped Parents and expectant Mums in Herts, Beds and Bucks focus on how to bring mindfulness into their daily life in a down to earth and practical way...

holmessweetholmes Thu 15-May-14 22:03:59

I second 'The Compassionate Mind ' by Paul Gilbert. It is fantastic.

SouthernHippyChick Fri 16-May-14 21:23:44

No need to pay anyone for mindfulness training imho! The wonderful Tara Brach as someone mentioned earlier does free weekly podcasts.

easterville Fri 04-Mar-16 17:02:01

This doesn't go into great detail but I did find this link; life.landofbeds.co.uk/practice-mindfulness-in-5-simple-steps-to-transform-the-quality-of-your-sleep/ It may help others as a starting point smile

stumblymonkey Fri 04-Mar-16 17:06:33

If you have a smartphone try the Headspace app...

Neem Sun 08-Jan-17 00:43:30

The MHK app is good too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now