Talk

Advanced search

How do you attract good karma?

(9 Posts)
BrightLightsAtNight Sun 16-Mar-14 10:55:47

I'm not particularly religious though I am somewhat spiritual, I think!
I believe in many things that most religions teach, particularly morals and values but I don't follow the tenets or rules of any particular religion.

Dh doesn't believe in anything. He's a negative person and can be very grumpy. We have a horrible neighbour and although I'll try to ignore her, dh will play her at her own petty games.
If neighbours park across the drive, dh will be out there in an instance to have a go even if they are in their car.
He's become very uncharitable and unkind to other people although he's nice enough to family. I hate it.

He's had bad luck after bad luck recently and I'm a real believer in 'what goes around, comes around'. Whether its to do with God, The Universe, Energies, Karma, mental thinking, positive/negative thoughts, neural programming etc I don't know and I don't care, I just know you can have a happier life if you're kinder to others and to yourself.
I have mentioned this to him and I think its made him think.

Now there's no way on earth that he'll be kind to our horrible neighbour (I can't bear her either anymore. I've tried but with some people, there's no point) but are there any ideas that anyone can pass on to me on how he can attract better karma, for want of a better expression, and become a kinder person, that doesn't involve anything religious. I know he could help with a charity so I'll look into that.

What thoughts do other people have? (no mockery please. If you don't believe in this or think its 'woo' rubbish, I'd rather you didn't comment. Thanks smile)

atthestrokeoftwelve Sun 16-Mar-14 13:36:29

Giving to others generally - that giving finds a way back to you. I have done a lot of work for a charity over the years, and when I was giving the most energy and time was when really good things happened to me.

bishbashboosh Sun 16-Mar-14 15:24:11

I've been thinking about this too. Recently my car broke down and a 'friend' was really mean about how I was going to get it fixed. A day or so later her car broke down

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 17-Mar-14 17:59:24

Do unto others.

what goes around.....

reap what you sow?

Ive done nothing in my entire life but good deeds, always gone out of my way for everyone, gone hungry to feed DC (not saying all this for a medal or anything, just making a point), im a good person, honest, faithful, ethical....

yet everything bad that can happen happens to me..

whats karma about that?

why do bad things happen to good people?

Im not perfect at all but I really truly try my very best to be upstanding and moral and everything else..

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 17-Mar-14 18:55:03

some people are born with a golden spoon in their mouths and others with a rusty nail.

the golden ones get everything they touch turns to gold, wether they are deserving or not, while the rusties struggle and struggle and no matter what they do, good or inadvertently not good, theyre always hit with the shit.

nothing they do or are is good enough.

OneEggIsAnOeuf Tue 18-Mar-14 11:21:47

Karma means action. Action begins with thought. Keep your thoughts positive and positive actions follow. If you harbour negative thoughts, ditto. Thinking ill of your neighbour or making any kind of judgement about things that happen to others (that karma is biting them on the arse etc) is not going to attract good karma to you.

Why do bad things happen to good people?

1. We are subject to all the vagaries of being biological organisms in a natural world.
2. We suffer the consequences of our actions, and those of others.
3. We may lack awareness as to what we are attracting into our lives - people, influences etc.
4. In most eastern philosophy karma is seen as a seed that is planted in us from one life to the next so, if you believe that, there can be a carry over from our previous life. It is usually seen that we may have a tendency to be attracted to or repulsed by certain situations, rather than a predetermined series of events though. We still have control over our actions.
5. I suppose some people think that it is all part of gods plan (not me since i'm an atheist).

Karma is a hugely complicated concept and most eastern traditions have different views on it and the west generally misunderstands it completely. I have to say it is not something i believe in with any conviction, though i'm open to the possibility. Even if i did, the goal is to no longer generate karma of any kind, so that we become free from attachment and suffering - the middle path.

BumpyGrindy Wed 19-Mar-14 06:56:52

"Be the change you want to see."

IndigoBarbie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:39:05

I'm not sure about the whole 'karma' type idea.
However, I do believe in just being yourself - however that manifests for you. Be yourself, and treat others perhaps as you would like to be treated yourself.
I know you are asking about your DH - but you can't force him to change, or attract any better 'karma' for him - he has to be the one to do it.
I have often heard it said 'that which annoys us about others, is something in ourselves that we haven't addressed' and we are seeing the other person's behaviour as something in ourselves, almost being mirrored back to us. That said, you don't have to go out of your way to be kind to people who are not being kind to you, but sometimes just by being yourself, you can knock people's socks off by just how kind and nice you are, thereby spreading the love and goodness.......

<3 much love IB x

IndigoBarbie Wed 19-Mar-14 21:40:12

Also, acting from your heart at all times, it steers you right, and will also never let you down. This, I do believe has a powerful effect on our lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now