Talk

Advanced search

How often do you thin about God/your faith?

(33 Posts)
Dynasty Fri 07-Mar-14 20:46:59

I'm just wondering how often other people think of their faith.

Is it constantly on your mind, or every hour or so, of is it something you never really think about?

sunnyspot Fri 07-Mar-14 21:09:06

I usually think of my faith first thing in the morning when I thank God for the new day, and ask him to keep me on the right path during the day, and last thing at night when I again thank God for the day, and ask for forgiveness if I have done wrong.
Although I would like to stop and think of my faith more during the day, my life is so busy that I the only time I can really stop is when I am driving when I try to say a quick prayer !
One of my Lent resolutions is to try and make more time for my faith, but not been hugely successful so far !

anchories Sat 08-Mar-14 08:57:40

Nearly all the time when I am in the house.
Unfortunately, when I am out, not anywhere near as often.
I sometimes think I should wear something round my wrist, like they did in OT times.

Dynasty Sat 08-Mar-14 18:04:24

When I'm not doing everyday stuff I think about my faith, mainly when walking the dog or pottering around the house. I worry that I think about faith a bit too often so wanted to gauge it grin

Eghamite Sat 08-Mar-14 18:07:28

All the time

Dynasty Sat 08-Mar-14 19:13:21

Is there such a thing as thinking about God too much...?

anchories Sat 08-Mar-14 19:16:45

Yes I think that there is.

imo, I think that it starts to depend on how detatched from reality you are getting.
God does not want us getting out of the world so to speak, he wants us very much to engage with it.

anchories Sat 08-Mar-14 19:17:22

What do you mean by thinking ? Praying?

Dynasty Sat 08-Mar-14 21:19:11

Well just contemplating really. DS 2 started school in September so I've had a lot more time on my hands. It's not like I spend all day praying and thinking about God, but whenever I have quiet moment it seems to pop into my head. This never used to happen.

I've been a lot more involved with the Church lately too, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

It doesn't interfere with everyday life at all, my thoughts just seem to be much more faith orientated in the last few months.

capsium Sat 08-Mar-14 21:26:38

I think that is the value of having time to spend on your own. Quite contemplation has always been valued in the religious community, it's why you get bums and monks taking vows of silence. There was an interesting programme a while ago on this subject. Different people spent some time in a religious retreat where time was given over to being silent.

I spend lots of time alone and really value it. I do think about God a lot in those hours. It's nice to see family again though when they come back from work and school.

capsium Sat 08-Mar-14 21:27:24

^ that should be quiet contemplation. Typo.

capsium Sat 08-Mar-14 21:27:59

And nuns! blush

anchories Sat 08-Mar-14 21:32:48

Dynasty. What you describe doesnt sound like a bad thing to me.

May be now that you have more time, you are sort of catching up on your God thoughts.

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 08-Mar-14 21:35:46

Dynasty are you new to faith?

Dynasty Sat 08-Mar-14 21:41:55

Bums & monks grin

Dynasty Sat 08-Mar-14 21:42:21

Yes, fairly new to the faith

Dynasty Sat 08-Mar-14 21:45:33

I think I have a lot to catch up on. I am fiercely inquisitive/interested as well as contemplative, and before I became a Christian would spend an awful lot of time thinking about spirituality & life in general. I guess it's always been a massive part of my existence.

capsium Sat 08-Mar-14 21:51:58

grin

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 08-Mar-14 23:13:06

Ah well, that explains it Dynasty. With time, it does settle down. A bit.grin

cheapskatemum Sat 08-Mar-14 23:20:27

Lol that (presumably) predictive text changes nuns to bums! Currently I spend a lot of time thinking about God, but I'm in the midst of dilemmas & need His help to sort myself out. Consequently, it doesn't interfere with everyday life, rather it enhances it.

sunnyspot Sun 09-Mar-14 20:07:39

I think it is normal to think about, and pray to God more in difficult times. When times are good - as they are for me at the moment - I make a conscious point each day of thanking God for all he has given me.
I have also just signed up to a "Quiet Day"in lovely countryside which will help me to "be still". All my friends are forever pointing out that I am usually very noisy and talk all the time....so I will probably self combust on the day ! But I am looking forward to it.

cheapskatemum Wed 12-Mar-14 21:24:23

You sound like me, Sunnyspot, I struggle to be still & listen for what God wants to tell me (he generally has to send messages via Bible texts, or using Christian friends as messengers!). I do still thank God each day too. I hope your quiet day exceeds your expectations - when is it?

sunnyspot Thu 13-Mar-14 17:57:43

cheapskatemum - it's on 22nd March. You'll probably see the smoke ......

ScarletStar Thu 13-Mar-14 18:02:14

Because I'm pagan and ours is a nature religion, I think about the Goddess when I'm outside in Mother Nature the most. A gorgeous view can make me feel all holy! Also, as others have said, when I'm in silence at home, meditating or just thinking. I love silence.

capsium Thu 13-Mar-14 18:57:44

Songs and music often set me off thinking about God too.

Especially folk music. There are some wonderful lyricists about. Music can really convey emotion brilliantly. I sort of get to thinking about humanity and God, when reflecting upon them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now