Talk

Advanced search

Ash Wednesday question.

(26 Posts)
LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 18:30:11

Im not catholic, Im protestant, and weve never done the ashes or midweek service at our church (Methodist) but I feel a really strong urge/feeling/stirring in my spirit to have the ashes on Wednesday.

My question is- as a NC am I able to? Id like to go to a Catholic service (which I do if Im visiting somewhere and there are no Protestant churches around, we worship the same God). If I do, do I have to tell the priest Im nc?

If I go to a service I don't take communion or anything as Catholics have a different way than Protestants of the communion service (hope Im expressing myself correctly!!) but Id really like to observe Ash Wednesday and go to a prayer service.

Anyone know?

SummerRain Mon 03-Mar-14 18:34:38

Most catholic priests are very welcoming and open, as you say it's all the same god.

The ashes are a blessing so I can't think of any reason a non catholic couldn't receive them. I wouldn't worry about saying anything and just go and receive them.

The ashes don't even need to be given by a priest, I've been given ashes to take home for friends before and teachers here give them to the kids (Ireland)

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 18:42:31

Thank you. Is a catholic church 'open' all day to receive ashes or is there a special mass?

for example, Id go around 12 noon or so when Im able to?

blackcoffee Mon 03-Mar-14 18:45:24

I have received them before, as a non Catholic, during the Ash Wednesday mass.

SummerRain Mon 03-Mar-14 18:46:10

In most churches there will be two or three masses during the day, the priest will be out the rest of the day visiting schools and the elderly to give them the ashes so you might not catch him.

The church should have mass times posted somewhere if you pop in tomorrow and check.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 18:48:37

Thank you. can my 13 year old DC receive it too? don't know if shed let the priest touch her as shes autistic but Id like to try!

were just discussing what to give up for lent and the reasons to.

TeaandHobnobs Mon 03-Mar-14 18:51:30

Do you need to go to a Catholic church? Many Church of England churches will be having a mass service with imposition of ashes, either at lunchtime (1pm-ish?) and / or in the evening.

Tobagostreet Mon 03-Mar-14 18:52:44

Summer is correct - you can receive ashes as a non-catholic.

There will likely be a couple of special masses at which ashes will be given, it not just a drop in thing. E.g. in my parish it's mass at 10am or 7pm.

It will be a full mass with communion given too (at a different time from the ashes). At communion time you can just choose not to go up or to go up for a blessing (arms crossed over your chest to indicate blessing only) - maybe just check on the way in that its ok to go up fir a blessing, as I've read on here that some priests do not like to do this, though I have NEVER encountered that all all.

Hope you decide to go and enjoy the experience.

SummerRain Mon 03-Mar-14 18:53:20

If you explain to the priest that she doesn't like to be touched he can let you put the ashes on her... As I said it's perfectly ok for anyone to give the ashes, it's not restricted to priests.

SummerRain Mon 03-Mar-14 18:54:59

Tobago, I haven't met one yet either, in fact most encourage people to come for a blessing rather than remain seated but like you said, no harm double checking

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 18:55:22

Thanks. Ive just emailed a local church to ask if theyre having a service and what time.

Tea which COE churches do the ashes? I don't mind Catholic or COE either way.

just to get to a church with easy access to parking too as DC and I are disabled.

Tobagostreet Mon 03-Mar-14 18:56:30

Rather than 'give something up' encouragement, particularly to children, is often to 'do something' for Lent.

Can be practical, like volunteering to help at school/church, or raising funds for a charity. Or it can be spiritual, like praying more, or generally recognising all the things you have to be thankful for, and celebrating them more.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 19:00:16

Tobago DCs disabled so limited as to what she can actually 'do'. shes very good though and does what she can manage.

I think giving up something and explaining why may reach her better tbh. Im thinking of giving up my beloved coffee-aaaarrrggghhh! Now THATS a sacrifice for me!

SummerRain Mon 03-Mar-14 19:05:38

Dd has decided to help more round the house for lent... She's already driving me up the wall asking for jobs every time I stand up wink

Sugar and sweets are favourite Lenten promises over here but behavioural stuff can work too, if there's something she's struggling with behaviour wise would she take well to the idea of giving it up for lent. Ds1 who also has asd gave up biting his nails last year and it worked really well.

Tobagostreet Mon 03-Mar-14 19:11:10

I understand, just didn't want you to think that your DD 'should' give something up. Well, that and I really like the idea of kids recognising and being thankful for all the blessings they have in their life during Lent (nice friends, a super-lovely mum!, etc). It's a new concept to me, and really resonates with me.

I on the other hand will give up crisps or chocolate (or confused both!), so I feel you pain about your coffee!

Good luck and I hope you manage to get along to a nice service on Wednesday.
x

HanSolo Mon 03-Mar-14 19:23:32

Very high CE churches do ashes- your diocese could probably advise which ones do it. smile

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 19:50:32

DCs decided to give me a shoulder massage every night for lent! result! grin. wether shell remember or not is another matter!

but I said while she gives me a minutes or so massage we will pray for someone each day.

we do the same over advent. our advent calendar is a drawer thing and each day had a little choccy and a paper with a name on it to pray for.

Hmm. Sir Alan Sugar. a Lenten calendar!!!! that's an idea!

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 19:51:32

I have about 4 coffees a day, so might jst have one or one every other day, I cant go cold turkey on my latte!

but will give up crisps completely, theyre my weakness.

Annunziata Mon 03-Mar-14 19:55:58

If you go to the Catholic Mass and your DD doesn't like to be touched, tell the people around you or sit a little bit apart so she doesn't get freaked out at the Sign of Peace. It's just after the Our Father, and people shake hands.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 20:00:39

Annun thanks. shes like that at our church with the sign of the peace too !

Annunziata Mon 03-Mar-14 20:10:08

Oh that's good, didn't want you to go and get a surprise!

SummerRain Mon 03-Mar-14 20:18:38

Churches here don't do the sign of peace anymore sadly... apparently it's to stop bugs being spread hmm

EugenesAxe Tue 04-Mar-14 00:01:16

Just to say again that Anglican churches do this. And the two I know I wouldn't call 'very high' either - they are both pretty solid Anglican; my local church is mildly more charismatic than my old one. Try 'A church near you'? Often the churches will post up details of services including season specific rather than just regular ones. Or try Facebook - my church has a page.

TeaandHobnobs Tue 04-Mar-14 08:57:16

Sorry Zygons forgot to come back - I guess it would be best to have a look at the websites of your local churches; they should say if a service includes imposition of ashes I think.
All the Anglican churches I've attended in London have had the ashing, and I'd assume most parish churches will probably as well.
If you give the church office a call this morning, I'm sure they could tell you what tomorrow's services entail, and what their disabled access is like?
Hope you find a lovely service for you and DD to enjoy - I'm off to sing at one tomorrow!

thanksamillion Tue 04-Mar-14 16:20:53

I even know of a few Methodist churches that do it - I think it's becoming more popular.

Definitely check Anglican churches as again it's not just the 'high' ones that do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now