Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever dozed off in church?

(9 Posts)
Gunznroses Mon 03-Mar-14 14:36:00

2 Sundays in a row no! yesterday i nearly fell off my chair, but woke up in time to pretend i was leaning forward to get my bag blush don't think i fooled the couple sniggering behind me though, I was mortified!

It's a new church and its a bit boring, our old church pastor had a great sense of humour and we would spend nearly the whole sermon laughing at regular intervals.

So when have you ever fallen asleep during a sermon and what happened?

cheapskatemum Mon 03-Mar-14 16:46:02

I used to, when DSs were young. They'd go off to Sunday School, the sermon would start & off I'd zzz. It was nothing to do with being bored, just sleep deprived. Bless them, the rest of the congregation must have realised it was the only respite I ever got & just left me to it.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 17:05:55

an old man used to regularly. Us regulars left him to it!

a friend of mine did once and banged his head on the chair in front. we were all in hysterics.

2 sundays ago though, JUST when the priest asked for a minutes silence, that my lovely DC decided to let out a huge loud FART !!

Thankfully congregation know she cant help herself sometimes as shes disabled and the priest said that was good timing for the next hymn 'wind wind blow on me'!!!

sorry, off topic there but had to share!

atthestrokeoftwelve Mon 03-Mar-14 17:32:52

No but then I have only been to church two or three times. My inlaws however used to go so they could deliberately have a nap.

Gunznroses- could you not find somewhere more comfortable to nap than a church?

Gunznroses Mon 03-Mar-14 18:55:05

LetZygons Oh dear about i'd have been in hysterics!
atthestroke i think sleep deprivation is playing a part!

cloutiedumpling Tue 04-Mar-14 08:32:36

I've fallen asleep during a lengthy prayer before. I had two young DCs at the time and was very sleep deprived too. I woke up with a start at the loud Amen at the end and I don't think anyone noticed.

MerryInthechelseahotel Tue 04-Mar-14 23:18:30

I fell asleep whilst standing for the "our father" when I was young. I fell to the floor and got up as fast as lightening hoping nobody noticed grin

Tubemole1 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:04:45

When I was a Brownie in the mid 80s our pack had to go to church once a month. I hated it. The church was smelly, the vicar was weird and the sermons and prayers went on, and on, and on. God certainly wasn't being sold to this 7 year old.

Sometimes when the weird vicar said we had to kneel on the cushions things (atheist? me? Well, yes) and pray I would often close my eyes and allow myself a doze. I also napped in the pew.

Thankfully the God bit has now been removed from the Brownie promise so that it is more welcoming to girls of all religions, so the obligation to attend church had been stopped.

GrendelsMum Thu 06-Mar-14 11:49:35

sorry, I think that's hilarious! No, luckily our vicars are great - really thought-provoking - and the worst we ever have is a visiting guest preacher who's a bit dull.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now