Talk

Advanced search

Reading for baptism

(6 Posts)
Digestive28 Wed 26-Feb-14 09:45:57

Am looking for readings for my daughters baptism and I really like Matthew 5 13-16...you are the salt if the earth, you are the light of the world etc. my understanding of this is that you have an impact and influence on others and world around you. Personally, this is something I would like to pass onto my daughter but am not sure if a)I have understood the passage correctly and b) if it is appropriate for a christening?
Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

Digestive28 Wed 26-Feb-14 09:47:46

The other one I was thinking of was the story of the wise man who built his house on the rock...the idea being that our daughter will be bought up by ourselves and godparents to provide the basis on which she can build, but again not sure?

McPheezingMyButtOff Wed 26-Feb-14 09:52:34

We had, Matthew 19:13-15

Rhododendron Sat 01-Mar-14 09:40:46

Yes, I think both of those are lovely readings, very suitable for a baptism (likewise Pheezing's one about Jesus saying "Let the little children come to me").

I think the rock represents in particular God, which is sort of what you said (assuming that is how you are planning to bring your DD up!) but more concrete and personal. Also I think the lamp one is also about being public about being a Christian.

I suppose the only thing to me about the salt reading is that I don't understand what Jesus means about salt losing its saltiness (is that possible?!) and I think it confuses other people too.

According to our reader when they made salt back then it would be contaminated with all sorts of bits of rock and leaf and the like and this would leach out the saltiness and make it go off. You can interpret that as you will.

Rhododendron Mon 03-Mar-14 15:42:20

Hmm, interesting. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now