Talk

Advanced search

trancendental Meditation?

(7 Posts)
lilaloves Sat 22-Feb-14 17:06:29

I am quite interested to learn a bit more about this type of meditation but don't know where to start really,I know you can attend courses but my nearest is an hour away.
Are there any online videos or audios that could guide me through the process,any info is welcome,thanks

Catkinsthecatinthehat Sun 23-Feb-14 23:04:58

TM is something you have to be taught, you can't do it on your own. The 'official' movement is expensive but I learned a few years ago over a couple of days with a breakaway group who feel the technique should be accessible to people on all incomes. If you are in the London area I can post links.

I find the technique extremely useful, but be aware that the movement (even the breakaway section) is quite cult-like and woo-woo.

IndigoBarbie Mon 24-Feb-14 10:18:53

What part might be considered cult/woooo woo?

Catkinsthecatinthehat Tue 25-Feb-14 08:06:57

The guy who taught me did speak of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in almost godlike terms (he belived he'd teleported to the bed of a dying friend to be with him) and thought that yogic flying was possible! So a bit woo woo for me, but a lovely and sincere bunch of people who teach the TM technique at a low cost as they want it to be accessible.

Their website is here

IndigoBarbie Tue 25-Feb-14 14:48:57

Thanks I'll check it out smile I hear you re the woo, I've experienced similar 'teleportation' etc in the astral myself smile so at this point in my life-nothing can ever be too woo. Iyswim.

atthestrokeoftwelve Tue 25-Feb-14 15:03:14

I was taught free by TM uk, but that was 35 years ago.
I do agree that someone needs to teach you and "guide" you through the process.
It wasn't a woo woo thing, the people at our local centre were very professional and no mention of yogic flying.
I still practice ocassionally.

ScarletStar Mon 03-Mar-14 16:50:31

I learned TM about 3 years ago and would highly recommend it. I learned with TM UK. I attended a free introductory talk, then the course lasted (I think) 4 days, each day being a 2hour lesson/question and answer session with videos. The fee was income based too with free contact with your teacher for the next year (follow up support kind of thing). There's no way I can manage the recommended 2 sessions per day of 20 minutes each, but every time I do meditate I feel a hundred times better. It's effortless and does relax you like nothing else.

The only slightly woo-woo aspect is a short ritual your teacher will perform on the first day of your course, but the ritual is for them to give thanks for the teaching, not to indoctrinate you into anything. TM is marketed to professionals these days and is seen as a very practical, down to earth way of coping with life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now