Talk

Advanced search

Religious question...

(6 Posts)
Dynasty Thu 20-Feb-14 17:55:07

I am a Christian, but admittedly struggle with a lot of the doctrine.

So my question is, if Jesus was the son of God/all knowing God, why were his teaching so ambiguous and why has so much suffering come as a direct result of his teachings? Surely, knowing human nature being what it is, he would have had a better game plan?

OneHolyCow Thu 20-Feb-14 17:59:35

I'm not a Christian but from the top of my head I would say that we do not HAVE direct teachings by Jesus. We have the gospels and stuff that was written years after he died. And what you get after a lot of time and repetition is that the story changes.
The other answer would be free will, but I'm sure that is also part of the problem. The better game plan would probably have been to create people without free will that just would do good.

Dynasty Thu 20-Feb-14 18:07:18

I agree, and we now have the Nag Hammadi scrolls which are fascinating but I can't help but feel his words have been 'adapted' slightly along the way.

What I find difficult to understand is surely he would know this would happen and would have presented his case in a way which would be immune to human interference and sin?

capsium Thu 20-Feb-14 18:08:07

I always think that very big ideas are difficult to fully comprehend, I get glimpses and flashes of comprehension when first tackling a big idea. They often seem paradoxical, usually because they are not just 2 sided but I imagine them curved or circular even spherical, the right thing for every situation.

Hence many the layers of meaning, from Jesus' teachings.

The causing suffering? I think you have to look at the motives of the people causing the suffering. The whole of NT tackles the issue of having a right heart over outward 'showy' works.

VeryStressedMum Fri 21-Feb-14 09:08:42

With freewill how people live their lives reveals their true nature and is true good?

BackOnlyBriefly Fri 21-Feb-14 09:33:44

Either he meant the world to learn about him and follow him or he meant to keep what he did secret between him and his disciples.

If he meant the former then he failed miserably since those who were not there at the time have only garbled and unreliable accounts. That can't have been the plan can it. Imagine saying "I'm going to reveal myself to all the people but I shall fix it so they can't be sure if I am real or what it was I actually said"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now