Talk

Advanced search

Can I take communion in a Catholic Church if I'm remarried?

(23 Posts)
WingedPig Sun 09-Feb-14 19:44:15

I was married very young, abroad & in a registry office. We divorced a couple of years later after living together for 6 months.

DH and I were married in Church and have DC, I feel this is my first 'real' marriage.

I'm thinking of converting to Catholicism, would I ever be allowed to take communion?

elliephant Sun 09-Feb-14 19:54:25

Yes, you can receive communion as a divorced person.

WingedPig Sun 09-Feb-14 19:56:20

I read that I could as a divorced person, but not if I remarry, as then I am classed as living in sin....

Annunziata Sun 09-Feb-14 19:57:23

You would be best to ask a priest or catechist.

WingedPig Sun 09-Feb-14 20:01:17

I can't imagine there are many Catholic priests on mumsnet grin. I'm meeting one next week but wanted to know beforehand whether I'm going to be told no way or not.

Annunziata Sun 09-Feb-14 20:05:23

grin No, I suppose not! I honestly don't know. I am sure you're not the first person to come into the Church in this way, and it seems a bit silly to say you can't take Communion!

I wonder if they might try to annul your first marriage on top of the divorce?

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 09-Feb-14 20:06:01

I don't know the answer as such, but I notice that a married couple I know (who were both divorced before they married each other) both take HC in our local church. (in Italy- though am guessing the rules are the same wherever you are)

SauvignonBlanche Sun 09-Feb-14 20:10:32

I know from experience with a family member that a registry office wedding didn't count against them marrying in an RC church.

Alwayscheerful Sun 09-Feb-14 20:11:05

Yes you can, it would be helpful to have a chat with your priest.

If you would like your marriage to be recognised by the Catholic Church you could apply to have your first marriage annuled.

I can recommend a booklet produced by the Catholic Truth Society - marriage annulment in the Catholic Church.

WingedPig Sun 09-Feb-14 20:14:17

Thanks everyone. Would DH and I need to do something to have our marriage recognised in the Catholic Church? I was raised in an atheist family, he was Christened in COE, we were married in an Anglo Catholic Church, the vicar said he didn't feel my first marriage counted.

HoneyandRum Sun 09-Feb-14 20:40:43

The priest would be the one to tell you depending on your circumstances. Your first marriage I don't think would be recognized in the church but your second would (I could be wrong, this is my general understanding). You may be able to have your marriage Convalidated where you renew your vows in front of a Catholic bishop, priest or deacon with witnesses. My friend did this when she converted to Catholicism. She and her husband were married in a Lutheran Icelandic Church. Both spouses of course must give their free consent to receive a Convalidation.

elliephant Sun 09-Feb-14 21:04:45

My understanding is that you will need to have your first marriage annulled. The church will then recognise the validity of your second marriage. The fact that you were young and the marriage ended quickly without children should act in your favour.

wigglesrock Mon 10-Feb-14 08:44:19

Your first marriage won't count as far as I'm aware as it happened in a registry office. Did this not happen in the Spanish royal family a few years ago. The Prince married, his wife had been married before but that didn't impede on the wedding. I read too much Hello.

My sister was married in recently in a registry office & someone made a joke about if it didn't work out, she could still get married in the chapel next time.

HoneyandRum Mon 10-Feb-14 10:27:03

Although I said myself that the first marriage would not be recognized, on reflection I think I could be wrong. I have a feeling all marriages have an assumption of validity and have to be investigated and examined when a remarried person enters the church. There are a number of criteria that must be present at the time the vows were made to insure a marriage is valid. One such criteria is that each party had to make a free choice to enter into marriage, if there was an element of coercion upon either or both parties that would invalidate the marriage. For example, if a woman was pregnant and was pressured to get married by her partner or family (or anyone else) that would be grounds for annulment.

A priest will have a much better grounding in canon law than the rest of us - it's pretty clear we are all speculating and that is why it's best for WingedPig to talk to the priest for her answers.

AcaciaBeez Mon 10-Feb-14 18:14:55

What are the 'rules' about taking communion in the Catholic Church?

Babysamrocks Mon 10-Feb-14 19:03:16

Are you baptised at all?

WingedPig Mon 10-Feb-14 19:11:51

Thank you all so much for getting back to me, I'll report back tomorrow as to what the Priest says smile

WingedPig Mon 10-Feb-14 19:12:38

Yes, baptised in an Anglo catholic Church, but that was after I was married. I was raised by atheist parents.

Babysamrocks Mon 10-Feb-14 21:55:13

I don't think there will be a problem if you weren't baptised before either of your marriages. Hope your meeting with the Priest goes well, let us know how you get on.

WingedPig Tue 11-Feb-14 13:49:42

I met with the Priest, he was so lovely. He said that I can just get my first marriage annulled as it wasn't 'proper' then if I like get my current marriage blessed, although as we were married in Church we don't necessarily have to. He was very reassuring grin

SauvignonBlanche Tue 11-Feb-14 18:39:15

Excellent, I'm pleased to hear that. smile

Babysamrocks Tue 11-Feb-14 19:22:10

Thats really good news. Well done.

sashh Sun 16-Feb-14 09:52:02

I read that I could as a divorced person, but not if I remarry, as then I am classed as living in sin....

But your first wedding wasn't in church, therefore in the eyes of the RC church this is your only marriage.

You don't need to have it annulled even

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now