Talk

Advanced search

Alpha

(6 Posts)
Minnieisthedevilmouse Sat 08-Feb-14 08:06:38

I'm taking part in an alpha course. Basically a DVD lecture series by Nicky gumble. 45mins long each with discussion after.

It's a nice lecture series. It's interesting. It's not necessarily very illuminating. We are on week four this coming week.

The discussions after are weird. Often bearing little relation to the talk because a participant picks up on something. This week centred on someone's rather 'evil' mil.... I'm also struggling with the accepted god being discussed. It's very centric on good/evil. Smiting, punishment - even over centuries! Jesus is the exact opposite apparently, soft fluffy and golden.

Does everyone struggle in this course? Is it me??? I'm finding I'm becoming happier and more content in what I feel I believe and less sure on the gods described. (I could be putting this badly.)

The church is baptist. I'm c of e brought up. Is this the crux? I'm in the wrong alpha group? Just happens I'm at a toddler group and thought it might be interesting. It is. But well, suppose I expected more with its marketing......?

Italiangreyhound Mon 10-Feb-14 23:49:18

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying it. I think different churches may do it slightly differently but also it is partly down to the people on your table who may steer the conversation in their own direction.

Hope you get more out of it.

I did the course a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Feel free to tell me or ask me anything, or message me.

All best wishes.

LittleBabyPigsus Tue 11-Feb-14 21:52:20

Alpha came from an (evangelical) Anglican church, Holy Trinity Brompton. Unfortunately what you describe sounds pretty par for the course for Alpha. Sorry!

cheapskatemum Tue 11-Feb-14 23:34:05

I think if there's more than 1 God being described it's not a very good Alpha course!

skimmedmilk Thu 13-Feb-14 06:47:38

I felt very similar when I did an alpha course. I felt less and less comfortable each week and did not enjoy the fact that I felt I was being presented and taught another's faith. My faith has come from my own experience. I left and carried on attending church and enjoyed exploring my own relationship with god through my life.

jessjessjess Sat 15-Feb-14 10:12:41

It really depends on the church and the group - I really enjoyed it and felt discussions were very relevant but it depends a lot on the facillitator.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now