Talk

Advanced search

Sunday Assembly

(8 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Sun 02-Feb-14 19:33:07

I went to my first Sunday Assembly today and it was brilliant! I can highly recommend it (although only in my city that I'm not willing to divulge).

Has anyone else here been to one?

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 04-Feb-14 23:56:09

Has no one here been to a Sunday Assembly?

Dutchoma Wed 05-Feb-14 10:02:16

I haven't. What brand of faith is it?

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 05-Feb-14 17:15:58

It is no brand of faith. There is no mention of god at all. It centers on the spirit of humanity.smile

Dutchoma Wed 05-Feb-14 17:51:19

Oh I see. Never even heard of it, sorry.

MuswellHillDad Sat 08-Feb-14 21:01:00

Did go to one last year. Very interesting, entertaining and seems to fill the gap that atheists, agnostic and skeptics have by missing out on church community. I think it could be quite successful because of that "gap" in the market.

I didn't go back because I realised that I'm a quiet atheist who isn't into "sharing" in that way, but there were lots of really nice people there.

I also wonder how well it will deal with grief and charity - not sure it has the capacity that churches do for either of those things. It struck me as a happy place for happy people, not a place for troubled people to find refuge and respite.

sundayassembly.com/

niminypiminy Sat 08-Feb-14 21:18:27

That's interesting, MuswellHillDad. I've heard that they are not unlike some of the big evangelical churches like Holy Trinity Brompton in atmosphere and style <shudder>

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 08-Feb-14 23:58:38

I really liked most of it, but some of it was meh. The bits I did like made it quite brilliant though. I liked the singing and one of the speakers was amazing.

All this plus I could drink coffee, DS was kept amused while I listened to really interesting people (a luxury) and

And

There was cake. Lots of lovely different kinds of cake. 'twas amazing I tell you.

Anyway, on top of that I got talking to those who had attended before. All of them commented on how different this one was to the last. I will be going again because I really like what they are doing and enjoyed myself. I am looking forward to seeing how the next one is different again.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now