Talk

Advanced search

Non-Catholics attending RC mass

(13 Posts)
3bunnies Sat 01-Feb-14 13:34:12

Do you do the Sign of the Cross, genuflect, kneel etc?

I am low CofE (but originally non-conformist). I attend mass with my family each week and my own church during the week. In my church I would not do any of the above - there is a mixture of people some do some don't. From my background it is not something which comes naturally but I don't know whether it is disrespectful not to do these things (when in Rome etc) or pretending to be something I am not and doing things which to me personally are not key when I go to church. I go up for a blessing but would not take Eucharist if that makes any difference.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sat 01-Feb-14 13:41:06

No I don't.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 01-Feb-14 13:42:57

I wouldn't see it as disrespectful.

Helpyourself Sat 01-Feb-14 13:47:02

So what do you do? We're catholic and one ocassional co attendee (family) stays sitting throughout, doesnt go up for the blessing even. If I go to church with her I don't do my thing, iyswim, although I can see they're 'add ons' and would be conspicuous, whereas as opting out seems less obvious.
It's not a biggy.

Rosa Sat 01-Feb-14 13:49:39

No I do what I would do if in my church .

Mikkii Sat 01-Feb-14 13:51:58

I converted to Catholicism last year. Before that I attended services for about 12 years. I was raised as high church C of E, and so I was raised crossing and genuflecting.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 01-Feb-14 14:26:23

I go to mass with dd who has just become an altar girl. I didn't use to do any of those things, but after 5 yrs or so, and feeling myself very much at home as a lady of the parish grin I do the sign of the cross and the thingy <<<<technical term, at the beginning of the gospel reading. I don't kneel though. Nor do many people at mass tbh.

Gingerdodger Sat 01-Feb-14 16:09:44

Our church is full of mixed families, people just seem to do what seems comfortable to them, nobody else takes much notice.

3bunnies Sat 01-Feb-14 16:12:36

I do the Sign of the Cross when I go out with ds to his Liturgy because I don't want to confuse the little ones. Otherwise I don't join in. I guess like Drank I am feeling more a part of the church, so in that respect it seems weird not to join in, but I don't feel that if I don't then God would think any differently because I don't see it as necessary.

3bunnies Sat 01-Feb-14 16:14:23

I join in with the hymns and prayers etc and stand at appropriate times, just as I would in C of E.

sashh Tue 04-Feb-14 09:24:42

My family is about 48% RC 48% other Christian 4% atheist.

At wedding funerals etc the RCs do the crossing / communion / kneeling, everyone else sits and stands.

With the exception of a wedding where the chief bridesmaid didn't know the best man wasn't RC and told him to take her arm while she went up the aisle, he didn't know what was happening so ended up taking communion.

minniemagoo Tue 04-Feb-14 14:29:01

I do follow the crowd blush and kneel/genuflect etc and get the kids to do so also. I feel its more respectful.
Also when girls were flowergirls at RC wedding they went up for communion with crossed arms, which lets the priest know they are not taking communion but he gives them a blessing instead. Was lovely.

3bunnies Tue 04-Feb-14 15:11:34

It is hard as I partly feel that I should to set a good example for my dc. dd1 has already taken her 1st communion in the church, and the others will when they are in yr 3. Another part of me feels it is hypocritical as I would be doing it in order to conform not because I myself feel it is important. I know too that dh as a 'cradle' Catholic picks and chooses - e.g. he doesn't genuflect even though I am sure he was brought up to do so. I am sure he spends very little mental energy considering the question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now