Talk

Advanced search

Books about Women in the Early Church

(5 Posts)
Kneedeepindaisies Sun 26-May-13 19:55:20

Can anyone recommend any?

I recently read a fiction book that had this as part of the story and found it fascinating.

Thanks

Tuo Sun 26-May-13 20:02:54

I have this on my bookshelf, though I bought it to look up a particular topic, rather than to read cover-to-cover, as it were, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Kneedeepindaisies Sun 26-May-13 20:21:13

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've come across one called When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church and the Scandal of Their Subordination in the Rise of Christianity (sorry I can't link on my phone) but not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

I couldn't find a googlebooks edition which although it only lets you see 50 pages often helps you work out whether it is worth buying. This review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/279529657 might be helpful.

I had a quick look on Amazon and 'Ordained Women in the Early Church' by Madigan and Osiek looks interesting.

Ben Witherington has written 'Women in the Earliest Churches' If you google that with google books it looks like you can preview it online.

Tuo Mon 27-May-13 11:16:02

Hi again. On 2nd reading, the book I linked to is more about female hagiography than women in leadership, so may not be what you want...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now