Talk

Advanced search

My 7 year old ds's take on heaven

(6 Posts)
RosinaCopper Mon 20-May-13 21:05:42

I just wanted to share something my nearly 8 year old said this morning.

We were talking about the future and the present and somehow got onto heaven. He asked if I was looking forward to going to heaven and what was it like and I said that I wasn't in any hurry to go, and that I didn't know what heaven was like, because no one who had been there could come back to tell us, but that I imagined that it would be a bit crowded (I am not really a believer in a God as such, but then I don't really know what I believe IYSWIM). Anyway, my ds said he thought that when you'd lived another life in heaven, you'd then go to another level of heaven, so it wouldn't be overcrowded at all!

I just thought this was quite an insightful view for a 7 year old smile

Italiangreyhound Tue 21-May-13 01:44:09

Lovely Rosina. Is it making you think a bit more about God? Children often encourage us to think about God (IMHO) they are such little miracles and remind us how amazing life is.

All the best.

MaryBS Tue 21-May-13 06:47:05

Thats lovely, and i've never thought of anything like that, so its given me something to think about what a heaven like that would be like smile

Nicknamegrief Wed 22-May-13 14:02:48

Has he read Corinthians?

There are three degrees of glory,

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/1-cor/15.40-42?lang=eng.

RosinaCopper Fri 24-May-13 20:56:15

As far as I know he has never read anything biblical as we don't have a bible at home, although he may have come across Corinthians at school I suppose (would they go into various books of the bible in Yr3?)

So what happens after the third degree, then?

Nicknamegrief Fri 24-May-13 23:16:39

Sorry I was being a bit tongue in cheek. We all go to church every week and I doubt my children have read Corinthians and don't think they've ever done it at school. We do teach them this at home though,

To me it makes sense that there should be degrees in Heaven. Very few of us our close to perfect and very few (even fewer) are close to evil. Maybe he just thought of it himself. It is a very insightful comment.

The highest degree of glory (celestial) also has degrees of glory in it, my faith teaches and the highest of those is exultation which is where we live in the presence of God and can become like him.

You might enjoy the book, 'The God who weeps' by Terry Givens. You can get some lengthy extracts online through goodreads and a sample on kindle for free if you are interested.

I'm always amazed by how insightful and reasonable children can be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now