Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone trained to become a medium/ spiritualist???

(23 Posts)
NotInTheMood Sat 13-Oct-12 22:19:03

I went to a spiritual church and had a very simple message come through but it was spot on. She didn't ask any questions it was short and brief but reassuring and also the reason I went. They were asking for people to join and go and learn I would love to learn and understand as I find the human spirit amazing. When I was very little bout 3 I used to talk about a past life much to the amusement of family. I find it fascinating and am still curious as to why at aged 3 I was talking about a past life !!!

zombieplanmum Sat 13-Oct-12 22:23:20

I'm a sceptic but i would think that you can't train to be a medium, you can either, err, talk to the other side, or you can't. I just think that some people are very good at telling people what they want to hear. Derren brown i think sums it all up really, he is very good at what he does, but he openly says he is not psychic, he is just extremely perceptive and suggestive.

SillyBlueHat Sat 13-Oct-12 22:38:30

You don't train to become a medium, you just learn to listen to your instincts. If it's something you are interested in why nit give it a go

NotInTheMood Sat 13-Oct-12 22:41:29

Hmm I was sceptic but this women spot on about something very personal. It wasnt even alot and she could of made alot of rubbish up. She was talking about my feelings. I will def go again just to see if theres anymore some were a bit dodgy but ghis women def had it. I think it's more about learnng go tune yourself in.

NotInTheMood Sat 13-Oct-12 22:42:13

Sorry typing on the iPad predictive text

seeker Sat 13-Oct-12 22:43:07

Well, you can certainly train to do cold reading....

Aboutlastnight Sat 13-Oct-12 22:44:21

I guess you just have to consider whether you are an honest person, or not.

There is no 'other side,' these people do not talk to anyone.

NotInTheMood Sat 13-Oct-12 22:52:31

Well there you go I would like to learn to see if its actually true!!! There's no way I would lie to someone or take advantage of their grief

seeker Sat 13-Oct-12 22:58:02

Honestly, it isn't. Don't waste your time and money.

zombieplanmum Sun 14-Oct-12 08:51:55

what aboutlastnight said! You say this woman spoke about your feelings - there's your answer - she just tapped in to your mood and went with it, yeah, shes perceptive, but she's pulling your chain. I saw a stand for a "medium" in a local market - i was angry £45 a "reading" people actually fall for this shite. If you want spiritual enlightenment why not go to church? a proper one, wiht a priest and everyfink!

zombieplanmum Sun 14-Oct-12 08:53:41

it was, not i was - obviously, if i were charging £45 a throw to tell people what they want to hear i wouldn't be shopping in a local market, id be at harvey nicholls baby¬!

bamboostalks Sun 14-Oct-12 08:55:55

Why would you want to do something which would trick vulnerable people and cause them distress?

NotInTheMood Sun 14-Oct-12 13:35:06

I would only do it if it were true like I said it was the first night. I was on the other side of the room and hadn't even spoke to her there was no way she could of known. I guess I wanted to learn to see if it were true or more about reading people's language

NotInTheMood Sun 14-Oct-12 13:36:04

Ps they only charge a £1 donation hardly a money making scam

CalamityKate Sun 14-Oct-12 13:48:16

There are loads of books on cold reading. Ian Rowland's one is considered pretty much the best I think.

CalamityKate Sun 14-Oct-12 13:51:32

Oh and as for those "mediums" that don't charge - that doesn't mean they're real. Money isn't everything. There are lots of other reasons why they pretend to be able to communicate with dead people.

GhostShip Sun 14-Oct-12 13:55:02

No-one can train to be one. I think you've either got it or you haven't.

You can, as Seeker said, train to cold read which is horrible and preying on people who are vulnerable.

Aboutlastnight Sun 14-Oct-12 14:01:49

My best friend died aged 26 and I remember her mother going to these charlatans desperate to make contact with her daughter, to say 'goodbye.'

sad

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 14-Oct-12 14:06:46

My sister 'trained' in it in a way. Not as in she had no 'gift' to begin with so she went to school to learn one. She has always been a bit weird. As a child she would often talk about people she'd never met and ask questions about places she 'used to live' that we'd never heard of or tell us about the time she died falling from a tree, or the time I died by drowning.

She went to a spititualist church where they taught her to fine tune her 'gift'.

I think if you were able to communicate with the other side or whatever is out there, then you'd know, you;d just need to be shown how to fine tune it, so to speak.

If that makes any sense at all?

GhostShip Sun 14-Oct-12 14:07:45

When my dad died, my mum being a niave 18 year old tried everything to get in touch. Her and her friend did everything they could, ouija boards. All sorts.

Then one day they were in mcdonalds, and her friend (lets call him Jack) said he just felt this compelling urge to talk to a woman at the other table, and ask her about her son who he felt had died. He did, and her son had in fact died the month before. Jack said he just got all these thoughts in his head and told her al of them, details he just couldnt have know, the woman ended up crying and thanking him for speaking to her. Every detail he mentioned was spot on. The boys name, age, his favourite song...

Jack was amazed, he'd never had anything like that before. After that day he's always been able to do it. He's now 40 odd, and part of the family. He's told me some things that there's no way he could have known.

Panadbois Sun 14-Oct-12 22:47:06

I'm sure if you ask at the spiritualist church, they will tell you about a local psychic development circle.

I go to one, and it's amazing. I'm still a bit 'I can't do this, why am I here?' But, things I've 'tapped' into have amazed me.

I'm enjoying my psychic journey. ((( I don't care if you lot don't believe me - so there))))

I was going to say the same as others - you want a development circle or join a private group. You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money to do this, so be careful.

If you are happy in the church you went to, ask in there. They will have open and closed circles for development. You could even try an open circle - this is where everyone goes and everyone is welcome to speak. A lot of it is about having the confidence to say what comes into your mind, which can be very daunting.

I have done this stuff for years, but am still very cynical even though, strangely, I have no reason to be. I've had my own 'proof' lots of times. I don't know why I'm so doubtful, possibly I'm too influenced by others. If you are really interested in this path, ignore what others think or just don't tell them.

Finally, if you want a taste of what it would be like, download a spiritual meditation from Amazon. Something like meeting your spirit guide. That would give you a good idea about the type of exercises you would be doing, although, of course, you wouldn't be able to give messages if you are working alone and that is the big test for people.

Enjoy! smile

IndigoBarbie Thu 18-Oct-12 21:00:40

The term mediumistic etc it's really just tapping into your own body and intuitive senses - which lots of us have dulled down over the years.
Therefore, the training is more of becoming aware of your feelings, senses, thoughts etc
Receiving communications from past loved ones is nothing like I thought it would be - its so very natural. If you feel good about this circle, it would be no harm in exploring that for yourself xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now