Talk

Advanced search

married in RC, now separated - where does that leave me?

(9 Posts)
nightcat Sun 07-Oct-12 21:08:48

Complete breakdown of 20+ years of marriage and given up trying as my dh not interested, we have 1 disabled son with uncertain future so we sort-of stick together for his sake.
But where does that leave me in church terms? Don't want to speak to priest as they all think we are still together.

DorsetKnob Sun 07-Oct-12 21:12:40

I think, but plese don't quote me, that until you are divorced you can still take communion. My father had been married before he married my mother and still went to mass but was blessed rather than take communion. They got a 'pardon' arrenaged by their priest which now means they can partake fully. HTH.

Annunziata Sun 07-Oct-12 21:16:27

Only a priest can tell you properly. I think as long as you are not in another relationship you can take communion.

nightcat Sun 07-Oct-12 21:24:17

thank you
well, neither of us wants a divorce for the sake of our son sad but living a lie is eating me inside - whilst my h doesn't really care

MaryBS Mon 08-Oct-12 02:27:56

You might want to give this group a try, the Association of Separated and Divorced Catholics:
www.asdcengland.org.uk/

You can certainly still receive communion after you are divorced.

acorntree Mon 08-Oct-12 09:33:18

Agree with Annunziata, as far as I recall, there is no problem with respect to communion if you are separated or divorced, so long as you are not in another relationship, but you should talk to a priest if you're worried. Maybe find a nice gentle priest in a different parish to talk to first if you are worried about bringing it up in your home parish...

MaryBS Mon 08-Oct-12 10:52:10

Yes, sorry, what I meant was, in the circumstances you describe, you personally will still be able to receive communion. It only becomes a problem if you then become involved in a relationship with someone else.

<been in this situation myself>

nightcat Mon 08-Oct-12 20:39:39

thanks again, Mary I am going to pm you
Why can't my life be a bit more black and white? I had thought I was making the right decision by staying sad

MaryBS Mon 08-Oct-12 22:34:53

<Hugs> Have replied... it DOES get easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now