Talk

Advanced search

Should I have been offended by this?

(8 Posts)
LonelyCloud Mon 24-Sep-12 13:50:21

I was brought up as a Catholic, but married an Anglican, and now attend our local CoE church. DH & I plan on bringing DS up as an Anglican, and take him to church with us most weeks.

MIL and FIL have been visiting us this last week, so they came to church with us yesterday. After the service, we were chatting to some of the other members of the congregation. MIL told one man, that her & FIL were only here this week because they were visiting us. He asked me why my parents had never been to church with us. I said that they were Catholic and went to their own church in (town just down the road). He replied "Ooh, they're catholic, we won't talk about them then!"

I didn't really think any more of it at the time - I certainly didn't think he meant any offence - but several times over Sunday afternoon and evening, MIL and FIL started talking about how rude, offensive and uncalled for this man's remark was, despite me (repeatedly) telling them I wasn't upset or offended about it.

MIL has been going on about this again today. I'm starting to wonder if I should have been offended. Does this sound offensive to anyone else? Or are MIL & FIL being slightly oversensitive here?

BackforGood Mon 24-Sep-12 13:53:42

Oversensitive.

ethelb Mon 24-Sep-12 14:15:25

He was rude. But life's too short to get bothered about it.

Plus was he joking? In a kind of post ironic way?

DameKewcumber Mon 24-Sep-12 14:17:01

very oversensitive - I don't know how it sounded in person but on paper it sounds like a not very funny jokey comment.

DameKewcumber Mon 24-Sep-12 14:18:18

btw - I don't think there should be any such thing as "should have been offended". You either were or you weren't. And you weren't. You could hear the context and how he said it, they couldn't.

Pancakeflipper Mon 24-Sep-12 14:21:19

Bet he meant it in a jokey way. Don't take offense ( unless he makes an obvious rude comment next time).

ReallyTired Mon 24-Sep-12 14:22:22

I can see how your FIL and MIL might feel offended on your behalf. Are your inlaws friends with your parents.

I think that man had "foot in mouth disease" rather than being diliberately nasty.

I think you are right not think about the comment.

LonelyCloud Mon 24-Sep-12 15:07:40

I think he meant it in a jokey way. FIL & MIL (who were standing right next to me at the time) obviously think otherwise.

I shall continue to feel unoffended - unless of course he starts making similar comments all the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now