Talk

Advanced search

Do "Young Earth Creationists" actually still exist?

(143 Posts)
technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 16:37:31

I am interested to know if Young Earth Creationists (who believe that the Earth is only 6000 years old and that evolution did not happen) actually still exist, despite the overwhelming scientfic evidence to the contrary?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Aug-12 16:44:02

I don't think there are many of them in the UK. There are loads in the US, though. I expect they have a bajillion websites out there.

Oh, here are some statistics.

TheKnackeredChef Tue 28-Aug-12 16:44:53

Yes, my SIL. Evolution is 'Just a theory', you know. Head/desk.

Pascha Tue 28-Aug-12 16:45:47

My sister, although she doesn't talk about it as she knows everyone thinks she's mad.

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 16:50:27

she knows everyone thinks she's mad. she does get some things right then!

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 16:58:13

NotQuiteCockney - those statistics are scary!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 28-Aug-12 17:00:45

One I know teaches physics (very successfully I should add).

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 17:20:11

Are there any YECs here on MN?

Eruvande Tue 28-Aug-12 18:25:27

I know many. I think I'm an old earther now, though. My mental jury is out on evolution, but I'm enjoying the search.

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 20:08:06

What is it about evolution that you are struggling with mentally?

Eruvande Tue 28-Aug-12 21:09:46

I guess I'm unconvinced by the spontaneous beginning to life. Saw James May's programme about it yesterday which helped me understand it a bit better.

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 21:19:46

It is an exciting prospect isn't it! smile

Eruvande Tue 28-Aug-12 21:21:28

It is, yes. A bit scary, too, though.

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 21:34:05

Less "scary" and more "enviable" given the right conditions.

Eruvande Tue 28-Aug-12 21:36:46

Not sure I'm there yet. Fundamentalism is a hard thing to extricate oneself from.

OddBoots Tue 28-Aug-12 21:41:28

A friend just linked me to this survey which shows that only 39% of polled Americans believe in evolution. The belief goes up with education, which is something, but it is still a terrifying figure.

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 21:43:50

Eruvande - but think of all the exciting new things to learn about!

Eruvande Tue 28-Aug-12 21:45:10

Yes, technodad - it's stuff like that which keeps me going.

technodad Tue 28-Aug-12 21:58:44

Stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

(Warning: the video has the dissection of a giraffe that died of natural causes, but even if you are a little squeamish, it is well worth watching)

Eruvande Tue 28-Aug-12 22:05:18

eww. But I'm glad I watched it.

Snorbs Tue 28-Aug-12 22:06:56

Eruvande, you might want to start by understanding that the science of evolution won't tell you anything about how life started. You want abiogenesis for that.

chipmonkey Tue 28-Aug-12 23:04:55

My MIL.
I do believe in an afterlife and God (but not necessarily the Biblical God) but can't understand how you can ignore scientific evidence of evolution, though I'm not sure that it's altogether as random as some people believe. I used to, but now think evolution happens too quickly and beautifully to be totally random.
I remember having a discussion with MIL about evolution. If you knew my MIL, you would know that it's a pointless exercise but I can't stop myself sometimes! It ended up with her telling me "I don't believe in science". I refrained from pointing out that all her electrical appliances, the cupboard full of antibiotics and the many operations she's had are all the result of science.

Mind you, she's the only person I know that believes this and I know a lot of religious people.

CrunchyFrog Thu 30-Aug-12 08:37:25

Lots of them here in NI, many of them in power. Very scary.

chipmonkey Thu 30-Aug-12 11:08:08

Found a guy online who says that dinosaurs were mentioned in the Bible as "dragons"
I must actually read the Bible properly sometime. I can't think of a reference to dragons?

weegiemum Thu 30-Aug-12 15:47:53

I have yec friends in NI who have chosen to homeschool because they don't want their children to get "brainwashed" into believing in evolution!

Words arent enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now