Talk

Advanced search

White English Muslim Mum...

(18 Posts)
suju2228 Thu 16-Aug-12 12:25:42

I have recently converted, and do not have any Muslim friends. I was interested in meeting women to talk to

Emandlu Thu 16-Aug-12 12:30:16

Is it not possible to go to the local mosque and ask?
I am not muslim and don't know how it works, but I imagine that would be possible. When we went to a wedding at a mosque near here, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, and made sure we were comfortable.

Frontpaw Thu 16-Aug-12 12:31:38

Any female relatives, or local groups you can join?

suju2228 Thu 16-Aug-12 12:46:33

Yes, I will ask at my local Mosque and see what they say. I don't know of any local groups, and all my husband's relatives live in Pakistan.

I have searched for any forums, etc but I can't seem to find anything!

lovebunny Thu 16-Aug-12 13:16:27

hi! did you convert for marriage? does your husband have married friends whose wives could help you?
depending on where you are in manchester (and if you choose carefully for your needs) any college course like evening or day classes would offer you the chance of meeting Muslim women in a less-pressurised environment. are you at home with children or a young just-married?
there are so many opportunities, i'm sure you'll find people...

lovebunny Thu 16-Aug-12 13:18:12

by less pressurised, i mean, it could be stressful to just approach people...

suju2228 Thu 16-Aug-12 13:28:46

Hi lovebunny!

My husband is a Muslim, and for that reason I converted. It was one of the best decisions I have made, but having no Muslim friends can be quite difficult, as there are some things I can't talk about with my British friends, due to the religion.

I am in an even more difficult situation, as we have moved recently so don't have any family or friends. I have a newborn baby, and am planning on working part time in the next few months, when he's about 8 months.

lovebunny Thu 16-Aug-12 15:53:53

i used to have a copy of 'the Muslim woman's handbook' which gave a lot of unexpected (for me, a non-Muslim) detail that might be useful. i think i got it at rolex books on wilmslow road...it's ages since i've been down there, don't even know if the shop still exists, but it was thriving at the time, so it might.

how wonderful to have a little baby - my grandaughter is nine months old smile

i am sure if you keep reaching out you will find the right people.

suju2228 Thu 16-Aug-12 16:05:51

I did see a similar book online, and thought about buying it. Thank you for your help, I hope I will find what I'm looking for too.

It must be lovely to have a grandaughter, I wish you all the best :-)

DoIgetastickerforthat Thu 16-Aug-12 16:19:24

An English Muslim friend of mine found going to Arabic lessons and Quran classes a good way to meet other converts. Ask round the local mosques and see if any run that type of thing.

suju2228 Thu 16-Aug-12 16:22:21

That sounds good, I didn't know anything about Qur'an classes. I'll find out if there is anything like that in my area. Thank you for your help :-)

suju2228 Thu 16-Aug-12 18:28:30

If anyone is interested, I have built a Facebook page named Muslim Forum....anyone is welcome to chat, discuss any topics they wish, and hopefully have fun doing so! :-)

mariammariam Fri 17-Aug-12 00:09:46

If you're in an urban area, the ladies night at the gym/pool is often a good start, well at ours there is a fair proportion of Muslim ladies (it doesn't work so well if the dozy council insists on male lifeguards though!)

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 18-Aug-12 02:06:55

Salaams,
Congratulations on your conversion!
Many major cities have a 'new muslims project' or similar, if you contact the Leicester project, a very lovely Irish lady will most likely give you some contact details for the nearest one to you:
http://www.newmuslimsproject.net/
These are nice as you get to meet other converts who are going through or have gone through, similar experiences, and normally there are some born Muslims involved as well so you get a good mix.
It can sometimes be a bit daunting to go into Muslim environment when you are quite new, but I would encourage you to be brave, don't worry about what anyone thinks or that you're doing the wrong thing, everyone will understand.
I converted 8 years ago, and have worked with other new muslims quite a lot, hence have quite a few contacts. If you PM me and tell me where you live I can see if I know anyone in your area. It looks from another post like you may be in Manchester? I know lots of converts there, and they also have a new muslims project at didsbury mosque
http://www.manchesternewmuslims.com/MNMG/Home.html
Hope this helps and would love to hear from you if you PM me.

Amirachan123 Tue 02-Jun-15 20:50:27

HI I no old thread but I too have moved to salford recently and converted a few years ago and have 2 kids under 2. Realy wud love to make friends with other muslim mothers. Thanks

malaguena Tue 02-Jun-15 21:02:01

Salam alaykoum Amira, I'm a convert too, I'm not anywhere near Salford but there are some facebook groups for Muslim mums that I find really useful and you will definitely find sisters close to you there insha Allah. If you want me to add you, feel free PM me. I wish you a blessed Ramadan with your loved ones, may Allah accept our fasts and prayers.

minandensommerhus Tue 02-Jun-15 21:06:24

can you be friends with your old friends?

5secondstilltakeoff Tue 02-Jun-15 23:31:44

Is there something wrong with making new friends? Are you only allowed to have a set number of friends for life? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now