Talk

Advanced search

Harvest Festival

(5 Posts)
halfnhalf Mon 10-Oct-11 07:29:06

I'm probably due to get flamed on this, but does anyone else wish that we could have straightforward services of celebration sometimes. I'm fed up of Harvest Festivals where most of the service is taken up with reminding the congregation of how bad things are in the 3rd world, and environmental issues. Why can't we, just once, have a 'happy' service without beating oursleves up. I'm sure this put's people off who might otherwise come.

inmysparetime Mon 10-Oct-11 07:31:30

My church had a happy harvest service, where we celebrated God's wonderful creation, and brought in the best of our fruit, veg and craft for a village showgrin

DandyDan Mon 10-Oct-11 09:24:03

We had a happy harvest yesterday where, in line with that day's readings, we were exhorted to "Don't worry, be happy". Even services concerned with the unevenness of "harvest" in the world usually have strong elements of thankfulness in them.

MaryBS Mon 10-Oct-11 11:23:33

Ours was a happy service too.

AMumInScotland Mon 10-Oct-11 11:29:25

Maybe you could have a chat with your clergy about it? They ought to be aiming for a balance between celebration and challenge overall, not all one or all the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now