Talk

Advanced search

why has Catholic mass changed?

(12 Posts)
Pudden Sun 25-Sep-11 18:53:35

I went to Mass (Vigil) tonight for the 1st time in a few months and was quite wrong footed as a lot of the words have been changed- only Hail Mary and Our Father was unchanged

Why has this happened?

chibi Sun 25-Sep-11 18:57:46

It is supposed to be a more faithful-to-the essence translation of the latin mass

I don't like it

Also the words for some sung bits of the liturgy no longer fit the music and the poor choir is having to sing bits fast/slower/with weird emphasis on random syllables to get it to scan

In parts it sounded like some bonkers catholic jazz freestyling jam session

Harrumph

olddog Sun 25-Sep-11 19:08:03

Its exhausting. I reckon I'll be pushing 60 before I get my head round it. I don't like it either. I don't want to 'confess one baptism' because it makes no sense to me. I don't like 'and with your spirit', I like 'and also with you'.

<set in her ways emoticon>

taokiddy Sun 25-Sep-11 21:28:39

Its wierd! Will take years to get used to it. Last change like this was about 40 years ago apparantly. I think you dont realise how ingrained it is till it changes...

acorntree Mon 26-Sep-11 21:19:31

I've been surprised - I thought I would hate it, and I do have issues with the mass settings we're currently struggling to sing - and we're all having to concentrate - but although there are one or two bits I don't like (consubstantial - not a word I use in day to day conversation) - I've been pleasantly surprised on the whole. I was so used to the words I didn't really hear them anymore and I keep coming across bits of the mass I hadn't really noticed before that suddenly spring into focus and find myself thinking - Oh, that's what it means.

We have to be patient with the mass settings - new ones have been written but it takes a while to get them published and out into circulation.

JumpJockey Tue 27-Sep-11 09:32:35

This is why I prefer the Latin mass (I know...) as the words are unchanged over hundreds of years and I love knowing that we're praying the same way as people all over the world and across the generations. Also I sing in the choir, and the dignity of the Renaissance mass settings and the simplicity of the chant focuses my mind a lot more than the 'bonkers jazz freestyling' grin
Then again, as per my other thread, going to the family mass is the complete opposite with much simpler language for the children, so it takes all sorts really. As acorntree says, anything that makes you think about what you're saying rather than just reciting mindlessly has to be a good thing.

pinkytheshrinky Tue 27-Sep-11 09:35:47

In our newsletter from the Priest each week he keeps congratulating the congregation for doing so well with all the changes. I don't like it and it feels a bit lumpy now.

MaryBS Tue 27-Sep-11 11:09:17

I might be a cynic, but I reckon they've changed is because the RC church doesn't like the fact that the Anglican service was so similar to Novus Ordo grin.

I don't like the new service (not that it matters as I'm no longer RC), because its like its been translated by a computer rather than a human being. Acorntree, you're the first Catholic that I've found who likes it!

acorntree Tue 27-Sep-11 20:25:32

Mary, I'm trying to see the positive!

It's tempting to resist change, I was 3 when the Mass last changed so only remember the current version, and it is so famliar I can wrap myself in the words, but the neither translation is perfect and it is good to find ourselves thinking about what we are saying.

universalis Mon 03-Oct-11 07:05:56

I really like the new translation it seems more in line with what the rest of the catholic world have and more biblically correct it also makes my kids pay more attention to the mass as they are trying to get it right!!

JohnnyRod Sun 09-Oct-11 00:09:43

I'm struggling too, round here they like to follow it all in the missal, I'd rather not, but i guess I'll have to for a while as I find I don't know what's coming next, exactly. Does seem to be change for the sake of it, or are we just stuck in our ways?!

mariamagdalena Mon 10-Oct-11 23:07:57

Mary, does that mean that the incoming Ordinariate people will be bringing us the 'old' new Mass....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now