Talk

Advanced search

Who can take communion in CofE.

(15 Posts)
geisha Sun 25-Sep-11 08:05:18

Embarrassed that I should know answer to this. Both I and dd's are christened but haven't actively been to church before. Today we are starting and not sure what is correct. Have googled but not clear answer. Have basic understanding of theology behind communion but this hasn't helped me determine whether I should be requesting a blessing or taking part in communion. Grateful for your guidance.

iskra Sun 25-Sep-11 08:16:08

I think you should have been confirmed...? Hopefully someone certain on their info will be along for you!

saltcod Sun 25-Sep-11 08:17:37

At our C of E church you have to have been "confirmed" to receive communion - you don't have to be C of E, just a full (I.e. Confirmed) member of your own church.

madhairgirl Sun 25-Sep-11 08:17:50

You should be confirmed to take communion, go up and have a blessing, just keep your hands behind your back and head down and they will realise. Hope that helps a bit.

saltcod Sun 25-Sep-11 08:18:50

So, to answer your question, you should ask for a blessing smile

weevilswobble Sun 25-Sep-11 08:40:51

Talk to the vicar. He'll be more than happy to talk to you about anything. His role in the church is that of a shepherd, hes there to guide and nurture and teach. Being part of a christian community isnt supposed to be a guessing game! Talk to people at church. X

geisha Sun 25-Sep-11 09:08:38

Ah ok thank you. I should probably just ask but our church is quite traditional and I'm a bit embarrassed at how poor we have been at going to church despite having dd's christened. At least we're going now. I will keep my hands behind mback (well holding my baby!) thank you x

TotallyUnheardOf Sun 25-Sep-11 11:44:54

Probably a bit late now, but also read the service booklet (if there is one). Ours says (at the bit where it invites people to go up for communion) 'If you would like a blessing, please bring this service sheet with you'. Otherwise keeping your hands behind your back should work!

(Incidentally, at the [Anglican] church we went to in America, anyone who'd been baptised could take communion, but again that was spelled out in the service sheet.)

Hope you have a good experience today.

MindtheGappp Sun 25-Sep-11 14:44:27

At my church, we say that anyone who loves the Lord and is in good standing with their home church is welcome to share in the Lord's Supper.

We do not usually admit children to communion, but it is no problem for baptised adults.

AnnaBegins Sun 25-Sep-11 14:48:08

Most churches say that anyone in good standing at their own church can take communion. Probably a bit late, but if you were baptised CofE, I would say go up for a blessing, and speak to the vicar about communion/confirmation. Have fun!

Bunbaker Sun 25-Sep-11 14:48:25

At our church (C of E) some of the children take communion as well, but only after they have taken a communion course. It is a half way step towards being confirmed. Generally the rule of thumb is that you need to be confirmed though.

In Catholic churches I think you need to be a confirmed Catholic to take communion. One of my friends is C of E and confirmed, but isn't allowed to take communion at her husband's Catholic church.

purpleturtletoise Sun 25-Sep-11 14:49:08

You'll have been, and hopefully found out by now - but practice does vary from church to church, even between Anglican ones. So the 'right answer' to your question is 'Depends'.

Hope you had a good experience of church today. smile

MindtheGappp Sun 25-Sep-11 14:50:34

The confirmation rules in the CofE really just apply to teenagers. Adults can come to the table without having been confirmed.

madhairday Sun 25-Sep-11 15:31:16

Hope it went well. I'm more of the relaxed 'anyone who loves the Lord' and who wants to, basically. Confirmation is important but I can't see Jesus turning people away. How did it go?

<aside to say 'who is madhairgirl cos it's not me!!!>

weevilswobble Sun 25-Sep-11 21:42:00

In the Catholic church we have First Holy Communion at between 7 and 10. The girls all dress in white and its quite a party. Then when you are old enough to know your own mind theres Confirmation at about 14 onwards.
Read the Parable of the Lost Sheep. The shepherd looks all day and night for the missing sheep and celebrates the return to the flock. Dont be shy, you'll be very much welcomed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now