Talk

Advanced search

Non-Christian religions and pets, any MNers able to advise?

(4 Posts)
solidgoldbrass Fri 23-Sep-11 23:40:06

I'm not brilliant on comparative theology but I know that some of you have degrees in it and also that there are Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus and others on here.
What I want to know is: do any of the non-Christian faiths have anything in the way of prayers or readings that might be appropriate to the funeral of a pet? I am embarking on a new career (!) as a pet funeral celebrant and have been given a fascinating book about Christianity and animals which has some useful bits in it so I wondered what else might be out there.
(If you are a member of a religion which doesn't hold with pets, or having funerals for them, no offence is intended in your direction).

mariamagdalena Fri 23-Sep-11 23:47:45

ahem
Not offended but don't think a book means that pet funerals can actually be Christian...

On the other hand, I'm sure that a dignified ritual to say goodbye and recognise the importance of the loss would be comforting to some grieving pet-owners, whether they're Christian, atheist or whatever else.

solidgoldbrass Sat 24-Sep-11 00:39:21

MM: Ah no, the book is a kind of theological discussion about Christian attitudes to animals and whether they have souls or not and TBH some of it is a bit too in depth for me (not being a Christian).
But you're right about the comfort ritual offers to the bereaved, I've got into this after having been asked by some friends to conduct a funeral for their dog.

solidgoldbrass Mon 26-Sep-11 19:39:33

bumping to see if anyone else has any thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now