Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask a question about the catholic church please.

(9 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Sun 18-Sep-11 20:59:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarahtigh Sun 18-Sep-11 21:19:00

you could just go a few times but dont take communion as C of E you are not supposed to take communion, then see how you feel if after 4-5 sundays if you feel ok ask more questions; if you don't like it for yourself you can just stop going I don't kniow how old DD as to whether going on her own is an option

MaryBS Mon 19-Sep-11 08:58:18

Has she been baptised already? You are baptised a Christian, and if she has been baptised in the C of E (for instance), she won't need to be baptised again. Its not a problem for you to be divorced, but it might affect things if you wanted to become a Catholic. If you were married in a registry office, they won't count your marriage as valid, but as you are baptised c of e, and if you were married in a C of E church, they will count that.

And as Sarah says, you won't be able to receive communion, as only practising Catholic may. For your daughter to receive communion, assuming she is already baptised, she would need to be prepared for communion, just like her friends were.

Thats pretty poor that that church didn't reply. sad

nojustificationneeded Tue 20-Sep-11 18:36:29

LynetteScavo Tue 20-Sep-11 18:52:58

nojustificationneeded, I am not Catholic, but married a lapsed Catholic and always click on these threads to learn something.

What I do know is...churches don't always email back. If they did, I would know where DS2's winter coat was, and lots of other info..it depends on the staff in the office.

I have three DC who have all been welcomed into a Catholic school, baptised, two have had first communion and one has been confirmed.

No one ever questioned why DH and I don't take communion. The only thing that has ever been pointed out to me is that the Catholic church doesn't punish children for their parents sins, ie just because DH and I weren't married in a church, or I suppose married at all in the eyes of the church, it doesn't mean our children couldn't receive the sacraments.

It may well depend on the local priest, though. Some are more stick in the mud that others.
Catholics believe you can only be baptised once, so she will only need to be prepared to take her first holy communion..

MaryBS Wed 21-Sep-11 08:03:57

(and I'm lapsed Catholic, now an Anglican Lay Minister). Totally agree with what Lynette says. Let us know how you get on?

mariamagdalena Fri 23-Sep-11 23:34:50

Association of separated and divorced Catholics might give you a bit more info.

Tbh, if the remarried, the living-together, the cohabit-at-weekends, ex-partner-but-still-sleep-together-sometimes, etc etc all stopped going to Mass most parishes would be full of empty pews. Though receiving Communion is supposed to be suspended till the irregular life situation is sorted out. Divorce isn't actually recognised, since a valid marriage can't be dissolved, so you'd technically be a married woman who is separated from her husband iyswim.

I'm sure your email disappeared into some obsolete virtual corner. There are plenty of parishes who seem barely to have got the hang of telephone contact, maybe a direct personal approach might be more successful?

cat64 Fri 23-Sep-11 23:43:50

Message withdrawn

nojustificationneeded Mon 26-Sep-11 10:50:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now