Talk

Advanced search

Being a Godparent in absentia

(5 Posts)
TabithaTwitchet Wed 14-Sep-11 10:12:22

Not sure if this is the right topic...

I am trying to arrange DD's baptism.
Because we live overseas and don't want to make everyone travel to us, there is only one date we can do it within the next 6 months, when we are back in the UK.

One of the people I would like as a Godparent is unlikely to be able to be there on that date.

Is it possible to have him as an official Godparent without actually being there on the day?
We are planning on having 3 Godparents, so 2 will be there.

We are Roman Catholic, in case they have different rules.

farming4 Wed 14-Sep-11 10:23:24

Could you have a word with the priest - he will be able to tell you the "rules" - sorry can't help as CoE but when dd2 was being christened I wanted a particular good friend to be Godmum who I then found out was muslem (shes turkish). Our minister was quite happy for her to be a Guardian in Spirit and she was a major part of the day.

I know its not the same as what you are trying to find out but its shows that compromise can happen

hiddenhome Wed 14-Sep-11 13:26:18

We had absent Godparents (SIL and BIL in Germany) for ds2's baptism, but that was in the CofE.

TabithaTwitchet Thu 15-Sep-11 06:52:30

Will speak to the priest. Hate phoning, they are always so busy sad

Colyngbourne Thu 15-Sep-11 10:00:42

We had an absent godparent for one of ours children's baptisms (someone in Switzerland) - it's not a problem in the C of E. Not sure about the position in the Catholic church though - it may depend on the individual priest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now