Talk

Advanced search

How long does a christian burial service take

(6 Posts)
Thehusbandsatcricketagain Tue 06-Sep-11 14:07:53

Might sound mad but I have got to my mid 40s without ever having attended one,been to a cremation not religious service & now my uncle has passed & it will be a christian service.

I am only asking as we are taking our children with us (as in family are all taking children) & as my ds is a little hmmm outspoken shall we say I am just wondering how long it will take so I can give him some idea of time (he is 6) that he will have to be restrained for

TIA for any info

PuppyMonkey Tue 06-Sep-11 14:11:23

Depends if it's catholic. Catholics take an hour at the church for Mass then everyone follows the car to the cemetery or crematorium ( and everyone gets lost on the way) then there's another half hour service as the coffin is buried or the curtain closes at crem. Then everyone goes to the pub and gets pissed because it's all been such hard work. grin

meditrina Tue 06-Sep-11 14:12:41

You might need to ring the celebrant, undertaker, or family member who has been doing the arrangements.

It won't be a stupid question - services can vary enormously in length depending on things like number and type of readings, addresses and anthems etc and whether there is a full communion. Anything between 20 mins to 2 hours?

Do you know the layout of the church? Parking a 6 yr old at the back with a guaranteed SILENT console might be one option.

Whatever the service is like, I hope it is a good do, and you can take comfort from it.

Ragwort Tue 06-Sep-11 14:15:22

I don't think there is a 'set' time as such - I have been to some that are barely half an hour and some nearly two hours - depending on how many hymns/speakers/music etc etc. Is the burial separate to the service or will it follow on immediately? I would assume at least an hour to be 'safe'.

<amazed that you have got to your mid 40s without ever going to a service - I seem to have been to loads sad>

eaglewings Tue 06-Sep-11 14:21:33

Just asked dh who takes them all the time, he said 75 mins absolute tops. Less if the grave yard is next to the church and the family do not chose too many hymns or the talks don't go on too long.

I'd ring the minister, take as DS or similar and a bag of quiet toys including something he has never seen before if possible.

If there are lots of kids (which is a good thing) could they be involved in some way? They might take up drawings they have done, poems or a short letter if they are old enough.

Here it is accepted that kids of that age do not stay quiet and will want to ask questions. Most important, try not to arrive late so that you have time to get him used to the building first if you can

I'm sure it will be fine

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Tue 06-Sep-11 14:36:45

Many thanks for your replies

It's not catholic & I vaguely remember the church as it's where his dd,my cousin got married many years ago

yes it is amazing & I do feel blessed to have not attended them but this one was a blessing that he went so quickly & peacefully

eaglewings yes the grave will be in the same churchyard & thanks for the info as would never have considered taking something to occupy him with.He does go to our local church on occasion but at the Harvest service last year he decided to stand on the pew,put his coat on back to front with the hood over his face,this might explain my concern (he has some slight sn tendancies)

I am sure it will be fine but there will be an awful lot of people there & do not want disapproving looks from people that do not know my ds like we all do........am quite convinced he will ask to look inside the coffin despite me casually mentioning that there are dos & donts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now