Talk

Advanced search

Christianity with a severely disabled teenager

(5 Posts)
louandcupoftea Fri 26-Aug-11 20:10:10

I live with my partner and 2 children, one of whom has a severe disability. How have others in similar circumstances managed to explore their personal faith, found an accepting church, etc and balanced this withan older child who has challenging behaviour?

hiddenhome Sat 27-Aug-11 17:52:06

I dunno. I got chucked out of the local CfoE Church when my ds1 (adhd and aspergers) was playing up sad I gave up going after that. He wasn't even that bad and was only talking a bit more loudly than normal.

I hope you find what you're looking for though smile

PhyllisDiller Sat 10-Sep-11 11:31:17

My brother has quite severe learning disabilities, my parents tried churches until they found one that fit them. My brother has left home and still goes to a church that he loves. Not sure if it is any help but this organisation is good, I'm not particularly religious any more but I went to a celebratory service held by them and it was pretty spot on.

MaryBS Sun 11-Sep-11 14:42:59

Whereabouts are you? Some dioceses and some churches are better than others. Both DS and I have Asperger Syndrome, and have experienced both highs and lows in worship (including his kicking the Archbishop of York, but it was the AbY's fault for tickling him to the ground grin blush). I am a minister in our local church and also have been known to give talks on what life is like with AS.

This place seems amazing!

MargotQuaker Mon 26-Sep-11 16:26:41

Have you read Karen Armstorng's The Spiral Staircase? From memory, she was involved in taking the disabled son of non-believing parents to church and again from memory the church dealt with him very well??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now