Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to prove a name is Catholic?

(12 Posts)
FizzyMakeFeelNice Fri 26-Aug-11 03:22:45

My DD will be Baptized next month, and her name is Aria. I have been told that I have to find a Catholic name for her to be Baptized with, but I do not agree with that! Her name has roots in Hebrew and Italian, and Angels also sing Aria's. Please could someone help me find a convincing argument to take to the priest as to why I do not need to choose a Saints name for her to be Baptized with?!

CheerfulYank Fri 26-Aug-11 03:37:00

Aria is a pretty name. What's her middle name? Is that a saint's name? My niece is Vanessa Anne and the priest was fine with the Anne part.

Scaevola Fri 26-Aug-11 07:06:52

There is no convincing argument. The priest's judgement is final, and if yours takes the view that appropriate baptismal names are Biblical or Saints names, there isn't much you can do about that.

Your options would be a) go to a different parish where the PP has different views or b) add a suitable baptismal name (there is of course also c) abandon plans for baptism but I'm assuming that, as you wish for Catholic baptism, omitting this sacrament isn't really an option).

alexpolismum Fri 26-Aug-11 14:51:31

tel him that all of those saints had to start somewhere, once upon a time there were no saints, and that your little girl will be Saint Aria the First

lillybloom Fri 26-Aug-11 19:55:17

Fizzy Who said you need to use a RC name? Older generations talk about that but its not actually true. One of my dc's name isn't RC but the priest never batted an eyelid, my gran on the other hand...

sixpinetrees Fri 26-Aug-11 20:03:15

According to google, St Aria is a martyr with a feast day of August 21st.

One of my dcs is Baptized with a different name, one has a Saints name anyway and one has a name that isn't a saints name was was considered to be suitably Catholic anyway.

lillybloom Fri 26-Aug-11 20:06:08

well done sixpine smile

FizzyMakeFeelNice Fri 26-Aug-11 23:41:33

Thank you to everyone who replied, especially sixpinetrees that is a relief, we had enough trouble deciding what to name her in the first place, without having to think up a new name!

It was actually a church secretary who said it has to be a saints name, the priest is on holiday at the moment so couldn't confirm with him if that was true.

I did actually spend a large part of last night googling Aria as a name but didn't find that it is a saints name already. Off to have another look now.

hiddenhome Mon 29-Aug-11 15:55:31

I am baptised Catholic and I don't have a Catholic name.

mariamagdalena Tue 30-Aug-11 23:00:42

Why Christian names have often not been Christian in origin

1944girl Tue 13-Sep-11 01:14:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PGTip Tue 13-Sep-11 01:27:29

My dd's name is Hannah, which is Hebrew, she is catholic. Your priest is being a pita!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now