Talk

Advanced search

Dilemna DS loves Beavers but Church youth club needs leaders

(12 Posts)
manyhands Sun 10-Jul-11 20:21:38

DS loves Beavers which is on the same night as our church youth club. The club will close unless it has some leaders which I'm willing to do but as DH works shifts DD and DS will have to come along. He does have a friend in the church youth club but really loves his Beavers. They are both happy to come to church with me and get really involved. I don't want him to resent church as he will need to miss Beavers but neither do I want the very popular youth club to close. WWYD

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sun 10-Jul-11 20:24:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sittinginthesun Sun 10-Jul-11 20:25:32

Beavers, definitely.

suzikettles Sun 10-Jul-11 20:26:44

Beavers.

It's a lot to ask ds to sacrifice going to a group which he enjoys with children of his own age.

Could the youth group run on a different night?

manyhands Sun 10-Jul-11 20:27:17

Wow, that was quick. So many votes for Beavers.

Marlinspike Sun 10-Jul-11 20:28:43

Complicated I know, but could he go to Beavers then is there someone who could drop him off at the Church so you can help there?

manyhands Sun 10-Jul-11 20:31:07

No, they are at opposite ends of the city, DH is working and MIL does the school run very very often so we have exhausted all babysitting favours!

bumpybecky Sun 10-Jul-11 20:38:13

is there another Beaver colony / pack / group that he could switch to?

what are groups of Beaver scouts called?! I've only had Brownies...

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 10-Jul-11 20:38:23

Agree - Beavers. And I say that as a Church children's worker who would probably bite the arm of someone who was so willing to help ....... but would also grit my teeth and insist that your own children's needs have to come first!

And keep praying that someone else will come out of the woodwork to help with the youth club. Or enter negotiations about moving the youth club to a different night if you are really keen to get involved?

Maryz Sun 10-Jul-11 20:40:31

How long has he left in Beavers - isn't it just two years and then cubs may be on a different night hmm. Surely the Church could manage without you for a year, and struggle on with volunteers if you could guarantee to take over in a year or so.

Or could you temporarily do every second week alternating with Beavers, so he keeps his place.

It seems to me that if it is a popular youth group with lots of members you could put pressure on parents to do a rota for a year until you can commit full time.

manyhands Sun 10-Jul-11 20:41:43

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 16-Jul-11 16:25:46

bumpy - colony smile

manyhands - the problem with church is generally that they always need help. You will feel guilty every time you have to say no. But you have to say no sometimes, because you can't do everything.
It'd be unfair to your DS to pull him out of beavers as he loves it, and that has to be more important.

I can guarantee that there are loads of parents or congregants that could volunteer, but don't.
And i bet there are some who drop their kids off at youth culb then go home and watch telly.

Not that they should necessarily feel guilty either, for having their own time-out, but that you can't do everything ,and you've got to be easier on yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now