Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ds2 asking about first communion

(18 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 04-Jul-11 21:51:18

ds2 is seven this year and has been asking about first communion at his RC school. He's quite a religous child and has told me he's looking forward to receiving communion confused However, he's not baptised Catholic. I am baptised Catholic and we attend the Catholic church, but the dcs aren't baptised Catholics.

ds1 is 13 this year and has said that he wants to become Catholic and I have been thinking seriously about seeking Confirmation as well, but haven't had the courage to approach the PP yet.

Would both children be able to join with me and what would they have to do?

ds2 did become a bit distressed this evening when I told him that he wasn't actually a Catholic and wouldn't be able to join the First Communion children sad

What should I do?

FalachFead Tue 05-Jul-11 14:02:12

I would speak to your PP and explain the situation. Sounds like it's their choice to become RC and you sound supportive of this too..(Lots parents want their child to 'chose' for themselves when they're older...) It doesn't sound like it would be too difficult given that you're all Mass going and are RC in all but baptism...Once your kids are baptised, could happen fairly quickly I would imagine, you're all on the road. IME as they attend an RC School they would support the children throught their Sacramental prep as they would the other kids as a matter of course, you may be asked to attend some RCIA (your PP will point you in the right direction). Often adults are received fully into the Church at Easter Vigil...and RC children between then and around Pentecost....

Its lovely that you and your kids are so keen to do this as a family. What a wonderful blessing..

hiddenhome Tue 05-Jul-11 18:40:57

Thank you for your reply smile

I am planning on doing the RCIA course starting this September.

MaryBS Wed 06-Jul-11 09:52:16

Are they baptised at all? If they have had a valid trinitarian baptism, then thats all that is necessary. Baptism is into the Christian church. My friend had her two baptised in the Anglican church and then brought them up as RC, it made no difference to the church, but it pleased the Anglican grandparents.

hiddenhome Thu 07-Jul-11 11:35:39

They were baptised at the CofE church.

MaryBS Thu 07-Jul-11 13:22:54

He doesn't need to be rebaptised, and he CAN join the first communion children then. The RCC recognises C of E baptism.

hiddenhome Thu 07-Jul-11 15:36:14

I did it! I phoned the PP and I'm seeing him next Tuesday grin

MaryBS Thu 07-Jul-11 17:51:10

Great smile

lillybloom Thu 07-Jul-11 19:37:40

What a lovely thread. Keep us posted hidden

FalachFead Thu 07-Jul-11 20:52:34

Fantastic!

hiddenhome Thu 07-Jul-11 21:22:27

Ta, will keep you posted.

I'm so nervous because there's quite a bit of Catholicism in my family, some good people, some bad people and my own father was a Catholic Priest for 11 years after leaving in 1968 after the Vatican voted to retain the ban on contraception. He saw the destructive effect it was having on working class mothers who had child after child. That was his decision though and I feel as though it's where I belong and my lovely great grandmother was a devout Catholic and was a lovely person apparently. She had a lot to put up with and had a really hard life, but I try to model myself on her and gain a lot of strength from her even though I never knew her.

I'm scared, but excited at the same time.

smile

hiddenhome Tue 12-Jul-11 19:34:57

I have been to see the PP and he's happy to have us and advised ds1 to inform the school chaplain that he wants to be confirmed. ds2 will continue receiving instruction through school so that he can have his first communion in time and I am automatically included because I'm baptised Catholic. He does run general instruction classes each Wednesday evening, so I'm going to attend those because I never did receive instruction when I was growing up.

I feel really happy grin

LynetteScavo Tue 12-Jul-11 19:41:05

smile

I'm not Catholic, but DH is, and DC attend Catholic schools, and so have been swept along with First Communions and Confirmations,and ask to go to mass each week, which I've found very lovely. smile

unfitmother Tue 12-Jul-11 19:53:43

Lovely!

hiddenhome Tue 12-Jul-11 21:44:01

thank you for to everyone for reading my thread smile

lillybloom Wed 13-Jul-11 08:18:33

wonderful news smile

MaryBS Wed 13-Jul-11 08:36:22

Brilliant smile I love a happy ending smile

1944girl Sun 31-Jul-11 22:22:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now