Talk

Advanced search

Bible readings for marriage blessing?

(8 Posts)
practicallyimperfect Thu 30-Jun-11 19:58:02

My husband and I had a civil ceremony, but have since become Christians. We are having a very simple blessing of our marriage in church.

I am trying to choose a reading, and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. We don't really want 1 Corinthians, and are considering Colossians 3:12-17. As it is a thanksgiving for our son as well (as opposed to baptism) we thought of Mark- bring the children to me.

But any other suggestions would be great!

PandaG Thu 30-Jun-11 20:00:21

Parable of wise and foolish builders? as you have chosen to build your lives upon Jesus? Makes a good peg for a sermon too!

itsatiggerday Thu 30-Jun-11 20:14:31

That's so great! 1 John 4 is great, or Philippians 2. They're both often in the marriage service. Or Ecclesiastes - can't remember the chapter but there's a verse about a cord of 2 strands being strong, one of 3 not easily broken - ie if God is in your marriage. Or Eph 5 if you're feeling brave enough to handle the fallout! Or just seen you suggested Col 3, also great.

Have a wonderful day.

TheRedQueen Thu 30-Jun-11 20:14:48

Matthew 6, 25 - 34 - i.e., remember what's really important in life

TheRedQueen Thu 30-Jun-11 20:18:21

Or, if you want something short and to the point, Ruth 1 , 16-17 (of course, Ruth is talking to Naomi, but if you take the words out of context, they're lovely for a wedding.

Fink Fri 01-Jul-11 19:37:09

I was going to say Ruth too, but theRedQueen got there before me (by a day)! It's my absolute favourite wedding reading and I reccommend it to everyone (possibly because DH wouldn't have it for our wedding so I foist it on others, but it's still so beautiful).

practicallyimperfect Sun 03-Jul-11 20:23:03

Thanks so much. I love the ecclesiastes (chapter 4), but DH not so keen. We have added another reading, and using one on the invite.

drysocks Mon 04-Jul-11 19:19:46

Col 3 is sooo beautiful. i'd stick with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now