Talk

Advanced search

Feeling the need for a change of direction in life

(11 Posts)
whatistheplan Tue 28-Jun-11 00:09:09

Hi, can anyone give me any advice/encouragement?

I've recently got back from a Church weekend away with younger children, I had an amazing time and it's made me really consider a lot of things, mainly whether I am doing the right thing with my life. I love volunteering, I have worked with people in other roles but it's the doing something for someone/a group that really needs it and not expecting to be paid that makes it for me, probably selfish in a way but I get as much out of it as I put in.

So, I really want to give up work and volunteer in a few things, mainly with the Church, to make a difference. I'm not a career person, I know this, employment stresses me out and I haven't ever pin-pointed why although I enjoy my current job as much as possible. I am also trying to conceive at the moment and I want to be able to stay home with my baby when the time comes.

So, this is all perfect but then reality strikes. Money would be too tight if I did this, we would need an extra £100-£200 per month. I thought about working a couple of shifts a week, just to get the extra cash ecessary to make life comfortable rather than a struggle.

I worry that people will think I am crazy, but I know my talent lies in voluntary work and children, I just think they will think I am wasting my life sad

Has anyone ever done this, how can I make ends meet and cope with any negativity and tough times? My husband is very supportive. I've felt like this for a couple of years but this weekend has just made it more obvious. I am considering it very prayerfully but need some more opinions.

Sorry if this is too much of a vague post

queenbathsheba Tue 28-Jun-11 00:11:31

What about the children's society. Christian charity, if you volunteer they may eventually offer you a part time paid role, best of both worlds.

whatistheplan Tue 28-Jun-11 00:12:19

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the children's society, I will look into it smile

whatistheplan Tue 28-Jun-11 00:13:30

Ah now I have google it I recognise the logo, just having a browse of the site now

queenbathsheba Tue 28-Jun-11 00:14:12

They do a lot of work with looked after children, such as advocacy, adoption and fostering. It's a national charity so they will almost certainly have some activity happening near to you.

queenbathsheba Tue 28-Jun-11 00:15:59

I hope you find something soon. It's strange how volunteering seems more rewarding isn't it. Although I think the balance of the right work for a little pay is good too grin

whatistheplan Tue 28-Jun-11 00:16:14

Thanks, it is definitely the sort of thing I am interested in

queenbathsheba Tue 28-Jun-11 00:34:33

It is quite difficult to find paid employment with children unless you want to work in early ed or child minding. Keep us posted and good luck

whatistheplan Tue 28-Jun-11 00:40:52

Thanks, it's definitely voluntary work i want to do, am considering the option of a couple of shifts paid work in something else just to make it financially viable. will let you know what happens

Jackstini Tue 28-Jun-11 16:07:44

Just wanted to say I will be praying for you witp.
I don't think you are crazy at all. I have just been listening to a talk on listening to God so think it's wonderful that you have heard some of what he has planned for you. Sure it will all become clearer soon & glad you had such a great weekend. smile

whatistheplan Wed 29-Jun-11 19:45:29

Thank you, it helps to know i'm not crazy! I hope it does become clearer, continuing to pray a lot and mull things over. I don't want to rush into any decisions and get it spectacularly wrong but I do want things sorted before I have a baby becuase ideally it will all work well together (my mum could help with childcare during the day) Sometimes I worry that I will end up leaving us short of money so I do this, but we are doing a draft budget and £100 more a month would make it do-able. I suppose it's striking the right balance that is difficult

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now