Talk

Advanced search

Can my son make his 1st communion?

(6 Posts)
mrsmon Sat 04-Jun-11 09:57:35

my son is at a non denominational school and me and my dh would like him to make his communion, how would this work as hes not at a catholic school?
thanks x

FriskyMare Sat 04-Jun-11 10:07:19

Neither of my dc's went to Catholic schools, (DD at a non catholic grammar and was confirmed last week), our church ran "courses" for the children not at catholic schools but they started in the November prior to 1st Holy Communion. Both dc's were in year 3 but other children were older. Hope this helps.

stegasaurus Sat 04-Jun-11 10:15:24

I didn't go to Catholic school until yr 6 and neither did my siblings, but we did 1st holy communion. There were classes run after mass for children like us. Ask your priest what the arrangements are as you can't be the only family to have ever been in this situation.

mrsmon Sat 04-Jun-11 10:16:37

thankssmile i will have a talk with the church and see what they can do to help, iv never heard of courses so that might be a possibility smile ty xx

smartyparts Sat 04-Jun-11 10:21:07

Our church runs the communion prep classes one day a week after school for our y3 and they have 2 or 3 children who attend who are baptised catholics (obv) but don't go to a catholic school. They will be making their 1st communions on the same weekend as the other children.

23balloons Sat 04-Jun-11 10:25:54

Makes no difference here (london) if you go to Catholic school or not, you have to do weekend classes attached to the church you attend. If you attend church talk to the priest, if you don't go to church & don't go to a Catholic school I am not sure what the point of making Communion would be anyway?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: