Talk

Advanced search

Quakers

(4 Posts)
HarlotOTara Sat 04-Jun-11 08:54:18

Hi, I am attracted to the philosophy of Quakers and have just sent off for the information pack from the Quaker website. There is a meeting house very near me. I like the sense of a still small voice of calm but also feel apprehensive about 'joining' anything. Although from the little I understand Quakers are not about joining anything, but more about coming together and contemplating.

Anybody got any thoughts etc.? Just finding my way at the moment.

ResurrectionByChocolate Sat 04-Jun-11 15:52:15

As has been said recently on another thread, religions are communities and at some point it will be expected hoped that you will consider contributing in some way (financially, and/or administration, catering, social service).

twonker Sun 05-Jun-11 01:06:40

it's about the experience of the meeting. i recommend going along to see if it feels right for you.

bestmother1 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:16:50

Hi, I am a Quaker, but I didn't join formally for the first 16 years that I went to Meeting - and this is quite common. In my experience, most Q meetings are welcoming at whatever level of involvement you want -you could just go occasionally for years and years and that would be OK. Qs don't have an agenda which says that they must try to save other peoples' souls. But of course there is indeed a community, and tasks that need doing, and loads of jargon --- it's a human organisation after all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: