Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holy buildings- what makes a place holy and what are your favourite holy places?

(9 Posts)
WisteriaWoman Mon 30-May-11 09:12:31

I was out for a walk yesterday and visited this beautiful little village church and it felt so holy, it got me thinking what makes a place feel holy. WHy does that little church feel holy to me yet when I visit a cathedral for example they feel really unholy.

Also - what are your favourite holy places.....(I'm still thinking of my top 10!)

Bucharest Mon 30-May-11 09:16:52

I'm extremely unholy....but the inside of Saint Peter's in Rome took my breath away. Not so much the architecture or the structure itself (it's too big and cavernous really to appreciate in its entirety) It was the way the light fell onto the floor from the top windows. I was with an equally unholy friend and we were both speechless and often think about that moment now, 20 odd years later.

They certainly knew what they were doing when they built it. smile

Bucharest Mon 30-May-11 09:17:37

PS Wisteria always takes my breath away with its beauty as well!!

hiddenhome Mon 30-May-11 18:00:34

Blanchland Abbey is very holy because it's so quiet smile

Blanchland Abbey

hiddenhome Mon 30-May-11 18:03:26

Durham Cathedral

This place is amazing smile

DandyDan Thu 02-Jun-11 08:31:09

Durham Cathedral, yes. Also York Minster, even though it's the diametric opposite of Durham.

There is one place I know which just oozes holiness - an abbey - but I'm not going to name it as it's out of the way and relatively undisovered, and part of its attraction is its silence and quiet atmosphere with enough visitors but not too many. It's my absolute favourite place in the whole world. On a sunny day there's one spot where I sit, which is the best square yard in creation, I think!

Butterbur Thu 02-Jun-11 10:30:25

The Priory Church of St Bartholomew the Great in Smithfield. It is ancient, and seems to have sunk into the ground - or rather the ground has risen up around it, over the centuries.

Inside it feels as if something wonderful is about to happen. I am an atheist, and have no reason to be feeling like this in any church.

gremlindolphin Tue 14-Jun-11 22:31:37

The Pantheon in Rome

Pluscarden Abbey, Elgin - one of the most spiritual places in the world.

http://www.pluscardenabbey.org/home.asp

MaryBS Fri 17-Jun-11 09:04:13

Ely Cathedral always gives me a sense of peace and holiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now