Talk

Advanced search

whats the best way to expose your child to philosophy?

(11 Posts)
zeus123 Wed 25-May-11 23:16:54

Dd10 has read and enjoyed philosophy files 1 by Stephen law and I would like her to continue her interest in philosophy. Any recommendations to develop.her interest

Himalaya Thu 26-May-11 02:20:21

Well there is Philosophy files II ... But in general there seems to be a dearth of philosophy for kids books.

I'd be interested to hear anyone elses recommendations.

Cadmum Thu 26-May-11 04:04:37

My 14 year old answered 'Sophie's World' a novel by Jostein Gaarder. He loved the novel so much that it lead him to do independent research on many philosophers.

DillyDaydreaming Thu 26-May-11 05:36:38

Sophie's World seconded - fabulous book

zeus123 Thu 26-May-11 07:33:57

Would sophie's world be ok for a 10 year old. I have ordered philosophy files2 BTW.
Keep the ideas rolling - Thanks.

DillyDaydreaming Sat 28-May-11 12:30:40

I think Sophie's World would be okay for a bright 10 year old. I think it needs jojnt reading though so that ideas can be discussed.

bestmother1 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:20:22

Philosophy for Children (P4C) is an approach which many schools use and whihc gets kids doing philosophy themselves rather than learning what the great philosophers have said. There is a national organisation (SAPERE) and an international one (I think that si called ICPIC). Started by Matthew ipman in the states.

bestmother1 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:20:52

That should read Matthew Lipman.

WillowFae Thu 16-Jun-11 23:39:42

P4C is great. I run a philosophy club at lunchtimes for Years 7 and 8. Love it smile

I agree with bestmother1 - get them DOING philosophy. Sure, learning about the philosophers is good but it is an active subject, not a passive one.

threefeethighandrising Thu 16-Jun-11 23:42:15

Repeatedly ask them why wink

threefeethighandrising Thu 16-Jun-11 23:44:19

Seriously, when I became interested in ideas I got into science fiction. I was a little older than your DD I think but not much.

Agree with WillowFee and bestmother1 - talk to them about big ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now