Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask what Muslim ladies on here where when swimming

(20 Posts)
BeeMyBaby Wed 25-May-11 14:57:09

Not Muslim myself but I like to try to respect DH in how I dress (who is), normally I wear a swimming costume which has built in short shorts which stop mid thigh (rather than showing my bottom) and frankly I don't often go swimming anyway (have not been in about 2 years) but I'm planning on going on holiday, and will be about 5 months pregnant and won't fit into my normal costume, the only maternity costumes I could find are all bog standard, so don't cover legs at all. May I ask what you wear when swimming to see if I could get something similar for myself?

prairiegirl81 Wed 25-May-11 23:15:51

Hi, I'm not Muslim, but dress modestly. When I swim, I wear swim leggings and a wrap-around skirt to cover the top of my legs. I also have a swim t-shirt with short sleeves. Not sure if we can post links on here but I got mine online from a great company.

Honeydragon Wed 25-May-11 23:18:33

You can post links and please do as I need a swim t shirt and can't get one anywhere smile

<sorry for the hijack>

BeeMyBaby Thu 26-May-11 14:09:33

prairie - please post links grin

prairiegirl81 Thu 26-May-11 19:12:06

Hi ladies, I have several items from here and have been really impressed with them!

http://www.ukswimstore.com/c-33-cover-up-swimwear.aspx

prairiegirl81 Thu 26-May-11 19:13:33

Hmmm, doesn't seem to be an actual link though? I've also worn surfing rash guards as tops, but they're hard to get above a 12/14.

prairiegirl81 Thu 26-May-11 19:13:57

www.ukswimstore.com/c-33-cover-up-swimwear.aspx

scurryfunge Thu 26-May-11 19:14:52

www.ukswimstore.com/c-33-cover-up-swimwear.aspx

scurryfunge Thu 26-May-11 19:15:14

oops sorry

mosschops30 Thu 26-May-11 19:15:47

Lots of women ive seen at the pool wear what looks like a lyrca jumpsuit, covers down to ankles and is t-shirt like at the top.
Dont know where they get them from an online retailer maybe

Honeydragon Thu 26-May-11 19:23:41

thankyou smile

WisteriaWoman Thu 26-May-11 19:35:00

what about a burkini as sported on Bondi beach by the lovely Nigella Lawson.
They are sold by a company in London. But please - if you go that wear please don't wear the hat, dear Nigella just looked silly with the hat. IMO

midoriway Thu 26-May-11 19:36:52

I despise the use of the word "modest" to describe full body swimwear, as it implies that me and my various lumps and bumps splashing up and down the local pool in my very ordinary BHS one piece is "immodest", as are the 80 year old ladies who like to swim to keep the arthritis at bay, the amputee swimming club on a sunday who splash around, stumps and all, and the kids learning to swim and dive and frolic. No fucking way.

Saying that, if ladies feel more comfortable fully covered, more power to them, just don't describe is as "modest", describe it as full body cover, full length, what ever, just don't use this value laden term, "modest".

nailak Thu 26-May-11 19:46:08

www.ahiida.com/Slim-Fit-Blue-Lite-Jade-Aztec.html lol

prairiegirl81 Fri 27-May-11 00:57:22

Point taken, midoriway, for me it is about personal comfort and I certainly don't mean to imply that anyone else is doing the wrong thing - sorry!

midoriway Fri 27-May-11 08:28:55

Prariegirl81. "Modest" has become a bit of a handy catch phrase to describe clothes and swimwear that focuses on covering the body more than clothes on the regular high street, and I don't like it. I first saw it emerge on the web about 6 or 7 years ago, and it was used by American clothing shops online selling clothes to religious women who felt that clothing in the shops was not for them. The marketing people caught on to this and instead of calling the clothes "full coverage" started to call them "modest", appealing to a sense of righteousness in their customers.

A couple of months ago, Birmingham's own taliban fan Moazzam Begg was on the TV talking in passionate terms about how could he bring up children in a world that let women sit so "immodestly" on the beach. it made my skin scrawl to see a glimpse of the Iranian moral police here in the UK, working with amnesty international, as a speaker and activist.

The word "modest" is being co-opted by very unpleasant people as a way to keep women in their place, please don't fall into the trap if all you mean is something that covers you up a bit more and makes you feel comfortable.

As you can see, this has hit a nerve with me

littleducks Fri 27-May-11 16:03:15

I dont swim in mixed pools either, but ordered from the shop praire linked to before I went to The Sanctuary. The service was great.

BeeMyBaby Fri 27-May-11 21:50:30

prairie thanks for the link, its really good!

Also just realised my thread title said where instead of wear. blush

Modor I never said modest, but I did say it was to do with respecting my DH. Just because elderly women do something, doesn't mean its modest, I see plenty women of the older variety wearing tops which are most definitely immodest.

iggitwotimes Mon 20-Jun-11 18:34:41

What does your dh wear in the pool BeeMyBaby, ie does he cover his chest?

iggitwotimes Mon 20-Jun-11 18:34:42

What does your dh wear in the pool BeeMyBaby, ie does he cover his chest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now