Talk

Advanced search

My dd is hearing voices, wtf is this ?

(42 Posts)
ZZZenAgain Mon 17-Jan-11 11:15:15

I have been a bit worried about this for a while, not sure if it is a supernatural situation or something wrong somewhere. What do you think, is this nomral?

My dd (10) told me yesterday she heard someone say "I am here, dd" when she was alone in the kitchen, dh was out and I was in another room. No source of noise in the house. This has happened a few times. She isn't seeing anyone - like a ghost or anything. What is it? I asked her if it was an adult or child voice and she says it sounded like a boy.

A few times over the past 4 years or so, she has told me that when she was cycling or in her room, she thought she heard me call her and cycled back or came out of her room to ask what I wanted but I hadn't said anything.

What could it be - any ideas? I don't think she is lying she is puzzled by it. I don't know what to think. I have never heard voices like that.

ZZZenAgain Mon 17-Jan-11 11:16:35

when I say I am a bit worried, I am not totally freaked out or anyhting drastic but I do find it odd. Is there some reasonable explanation for this or do you think I need to do anything about it?

FingonTheValiant Mon 17-Jan-11 21:45:49

I think that's pretty common to be honest (the hearing you call part). I certainly experience that a lot.

I think the "I am here" voice is more unusual, but if that only happened the once then that could have been caused by tiredness etc.

TBH I think unless she is worried by it or you have noticed unusual behaviour from her it's probably best to leave it.

Sorry I'm not much help.

ButterPieify Mon 17-Jan-11 21:48:57

I used to get this loads as a child- in fact I did go on to have mental health problems, but when I mentioned this childhood thing happening the doctors said it was normal, so don't worry.

Carrotsandcelery Mon 17-Jan-11 21:49:05

Watching with interest. My dd says she hears voices in her head. My dh says not to worry as he did the same at her age. Says it was her processing her thoughts. I know you are not describing the same thing but I am interested.

indigobarbie Mon 17-Jan-11 22:24:15

ZZZ, can your dd tell you if she feels scared by the voice, or even if she answers back to it or not?

I hear, or perceive voices in my mind, and (hoping not to sound amazingly crazy) they sometimes sound like my own thoughts - but address me by name - for example 'indigo, blah blah blah'. Sometimes they sound like a different vibration - i.e older male, female etc. So, I can hear them in my mind, but not as if it were outside my body IYSWIM. I consider myself to be 'normal' if there is such a thing, but also I am an energy healer and IME my radar is fully open to these things. One thing I have done is to ask the Angels to 'screen my callers' so that only loving energies can contact me. Yes, I am fully aware of how woo woo this all sounds, but it has worked for me.

I certainly don't want to scare anyone here, this is just my experience.

I'm not sure if it should be encouraged, everyone has a different point of view on these things. It can however be scary when you are a parent and it's hard to tell exactly what is going on. I do believe what Fing has said re leaving it, unless it is disturbing her life. Then you might wish to seek help?

ZZZenAgain Tue 18-Jan-11 09:51:48

Thanks so much for answering and not thinking I am a weirdo. It is a huge relief to me if this is normal, I have no experience of it personally.

I asked her. She says the voices are not in her head but sound as if they are behind her, next to her or when she is outdoors, somewhere in the street. She is not scared by it and she doesn't answer. She is concerned in that she is puzzled and wants to know what is causing it. She says it sounds as if the voices are calling to her, not just talking but also not as if they are shouting. Does that make much sense?

I so hope it is normal and not mental illness or evil demons or something.

INdigo I would say she is a spiritual dc, always has been and it has happened a few times that she has known exactly what is about to happen. Now I don't know if this is some kind of psychic type thing or again just normal/fluke, I really don't know but it has spooked me a few times, also things she knows, she shouldn't really know. Nothing really dramatic but it does occur. So this is why I wonder if it is all alright.

I have no experience of speaking to angels etc. So can I ask for my dd's callers to be screened like you did or is that something a person has to do themselves? If it was something that is not ok, who do I go to?

ZZZenAgain Tue 18-Jan-11 10:00:16

just another question please: if I just leave it, how do I react when dd tells me these things? Do I say "oh that's quite normal, don't worry about it, a lot of dc hear voices" or what do you suggest?

Thanks!

FingonTheValiant Tue 18-Jan-11 10:11:44

From what I remember of my psychiatry rotation , hearing voices înside^ your head is completely standard, as is talking to them either in your head or out loud.

Hearing voices that originate from outside your head is more unusual and is a hallucination. BUT auditory hallucinations don't necessarily equal mental health problems, or indeed neurological problems.

Thinking someone called you is pretty common, hearing someone address you directly is less so.

The brain does do some weird things at times though, and hallucinations happen for all sorts of reasons.

Common ones are hypnagogic and hypnopompic auditory hallucinations, so as you're falling asleep or waking up. I once woke to the sound of a choir in my bedroom, was very strange but actually rather lovely. I filed it away as "one of those things".

There are also theories about the mind/ear creating sounds when there is silence, for example some types of tinnitus.

You really would be seeing other signs if there was a problem.

I know that's exactly what I said last night, but when I thought back I thought maybe it was a bit brief and not very reassuring, I'm hoping this is better.

Oh, one final point, if she hears any of these voices saying anything nasty/malicious about her or anyone else it may be worth seeing someone. But that would probably fall under the category of them upsetting her, so same as above posts.

FingonTheValiant Tue 18-Jan-11 10:16:08

x-posted

The somewhere in the street ones fall into common (I'm forever turning round to see who's calling me).

The others are more intriguing. Do they sound like people she knows? You, Dad, siblings, friends?

How does she perceive them? Friendly or not?

On a personal note, I had very disturbed nights (very bad nightmares and sleep disturbances), a family friend gave me an icon of a guardian angel to put over my bed, and it's helped me a lot. I often talk to him if I'm scared.

I think you could suggest she talks to angels/spirits herself if she wants to.

Have to pop out, but I'll have a read again when I come back.

shabbapinkfrog Tue 18-Jan-11 10:21:25

Just a thought and if I am way off the mark just smile and nod at me!! Have you lost a child? Or a parent? Or someone who played a large part in your DD life? My DS1's twin brother died at 7 months and then DS3 died 10 years later at 7 years. DS1 used to 'see' his brothers. We took him to a child psychologist who said they were called 'emotional hallucinations' but as they didn't upset or worry him we should just go along with it.

I often hear my boys who are not physically here shout to me from upstairs??? I do think it is my mind processing things but I find it a comfort.

DS4 (13 years old) used to tell me that he had talked to various family members (who he never met) very often when he was around 3-4 years of age.

I personally, would talk to your DD about it IF she wants to. Just stay calm and say that you find it interesting. Also dont think that there are any bigger problems at all.

shabbapinkfrog Tue 18-Jan-11 10:22:29

Sorry forgot to say that DS1 was also 10 when he had the hallucinations.

ZZZenAgain Tue 18-Jan-11 11:32:20

oh my goodness shabba, how awful to have lost 2 dc. I am so sorry. Well, I did lose a dc but early on in pregnancy and 2 years before dd was born so she never knew that child and also knows nothing about it, so I don't think she could be hearing that dc as your ds1 did - he saw/heard the brothers he knew personally.

I don't know much about hallucinations but I'll try and read up on it a bit tonight. I have to go out now but I'll come back and respond this evening. Thanks so much for your helpful comments flingon. She said the boy she heard in the kitchen sounded a bit like a German boy she knew in kindergarten in Berlin. He also spoke to her in German "ich bin hier dd" rather than in English. Usually though she hears voices speaking to her in English "come here dd" things like that or just her name called. She said it was friendly (as in not unfriendly) but I suppose she is hearing so little that it is difficult to say. I'll read your posts more carefully tonight.

Thanks very much

shabbapinkfrog Tue 18-Jan-11 11:37:36

This is so interesting. Thank you for your kind words.

My DS4 never met his two older brothers and says he sometimes feels 'left out' if the rest of us talk about them. He will often say it feels like somebody is playing tricks on him and hiding stuff from him. He then says 'OK Matty (DS3) game over put it back please' then he will say to me 'Did Matty used to play lots of tricks on you because something tells me it is him' (he is spot on with that by the way)

It is a subject that fascinates me. xx

Carrotsandcelery Tue 18-Jan-11 12:31:59

Oh shabba - I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
I am a bit freaked out now as dd was a twin but we lost her twin. She knows nothing about this though. She doesn't know she was a twin.
We didn't "know" her twin as he/she was lost during pregnancy.
I myself have had dreams which predict the future but never of anything dramatic. The dreams have a strange nature to them so when I have one I always tell someone about them even though the content is mundane(my dh or my dad) just so that when it happens I don't think I am just imagining it.
I have also had hallucinations after my grandmother died. She died in our house, in my bed (I was in my brother's room while she was staying but was moved back into my bed afterwards) It wasn't frightening - more comforting.
I am aware that I sound like a total fruitcake now and I am really a very normal sensible person.
I am a bit taken aback now though I have to admit.

FingonTheValiant Tue 18-Jan-11 14:22:21

I am so sorry to hear about your sons shabba. I think the mind would do all sorts of things to process and cope with that.

ZZZ one final question - do the voices always talk to DD, or do they ever talk to each other?

And do they ever talk about her, rather than directly to her? I.e. do they say "we like DD" or "DD is a friend".

Do they describe what she is doing "she is washing up now", "she is having a shower"?

Do they describe her feelings, either before or after she feels them?

Do they tell her to do anything other than "come here"?

Does she ever hear music or noises rather than voices?

I dont mean to seem like I'm interrogating you, but those are some of the different categories of hallucination. If you can work out what kind it is it's much easier to think about whether it's a problem or not.

Oh, and does she ever experience anything else that isn't there? Not just sights, but smells, tastes or sensations? (they happen in all 5 senses).

(caveat: I am only a medical student, so I'm not at all qualified to make any kind of diagnosis, but I just thought I'd run through some of the possibilities that I know of for you)

As you said though, she's hearing very little, so I really think it's nothing to worry about.

Carrots no more of a fruitcake than any of the rest of us if we'd admit it!

shabbapinkfrog Tue 18-Jan-11 14:55:32

Thank you all for your kind words.

Carrots <<looks around nervously>> I have 'seen' my sons many, many times. I hear them around the house and I cant tell you how much comfort it brings me <<sits and rocks in her padded cell>>

My surviving twin son (now aged 29) has always had at least one set of twin friends. Although his memories of his brother are 'our' memories he remembers everything about him. A twin bond cant, I dont think, ever be broken. x

indigobarbie Tue 18-Jan-11 21:18:32

ZZZ Yes you can absolutely ask for this for your daughter. Any loving intention of prayer (to whomever you believe in, i.e god, creator, higher power, angels whatever) is enough to have it done. In fact you don't even actually have to believe in it, you can still do it. At 32 it has taken me years to be able to even share some of my experiences with people, and even to this day I 'hide' some of my real self for fear of ridicule or dismissal, but hey - I'm getting better. So for a 10 year old to feel able to ask and discuss and then to have the support of her parent is such a wonderful thing imo. It's a day to day thing for me to also 'know' what is going to happen, and generally these are the trivial things not any major life happenings. If I were 10 I'm not sure I would even know how to deal with it, and even now although I accept this is who I am - it's not something I feel very qualified to guide anyone else on, but I'm hoping that maybe it can you in some small way. I have often read about demons etc and all of that spooky stuff but luckily (or not ? I don't know how it works) I have never had a frightening thing happen, and all I did was ask Archangel Michael to 'screen my callers'. A lot of what I have learned has been through books and online via 'Doreen Virtue'. She's on youtube and has her own websites with articles. More of my learning has been from personal experience. Jeez how many times can I use the word experience? Sorry everyone!
From what you have said it is my personal opinion that your daughter is picking up on spiritual energies. It appears they are trying to get her attention, and probably if she did speak back then they would proceed with more contact with her. However, I am sure that if she doesn't want the disruption in her life she can ask them to stop until she is older? Just a suggestion. I actually make requests of the angels and I know that I have been granted my requests. Just to add to my crazy cv, I asked them to slow my perception of time down. I felt like life was passing me by. I definitely feel that this request was granted. OK, enough about me. I hope any of this might be helping you in the slightest way smile I think it has to come from your daughter on how to handle it. I don't suppose there are any nice spiritual people near you? You are such a wonderful parent to be up here asking for help, I really really send you a huge hug x

dear Shabba, I am so sorry for your loss. I am not sure how to say this to you, and I don't want to say the wrong words, but I feel so grateful that you have been brave enough to post up your experiences for others to share. I have experienced the presences of my loved ones in my mind after they have left the physical world and it takes some amount of words to try and explain to anyone, I struggle to comprehend it half the time. I feel so blessed to be able to read your words and I thank you x

carrots I'm sorry for your loss too. Hope you are keeping a dream diary, dreams are a colourful part of life I feel.

It also so refreshing to see a post on here where no-one has attacked the belief systems/experiences, and in fact most of us are saying 'i am normal, please don't think I'm crazy'. I feel right at home smile

Fing, I have experienced a lot of what you said! The smells, the sounds, the sensations and the voices....smile I might have to change my job if this keeps up!

shabbapinkfrog Tue 18-Jan-11 21:42:29

I love to talk about my sons. Every now and then, usually when I am sad or upset about something, I get a strong smell of lillies in a kind of force field around me. Nobody else can smell them and if I step out of the area neither can I. At least a dozen times when I am at my friends house my DS3 has come to call for me....suddenly the room will go warm and my friend always says...'He has come to call for you again.'

I think of myself as quite level headed, the one who copes with anything thrown at them, the head cook and bottle washer in my family. I am reasonably sane...although some would argue with that smile I just now that my sons who are not physically here still walk with me each and every hour of every day. xx

indigobarbie Tue 18-Jan-11 22:25:15

Shabba absolutely beautiful smile the scent of lillies is the one thing that I also get. I am so glad to hear that you get that too. I've not met a lot of folks who have xxx

ZZZenAgain Wed 19-Jan-11 07:20:46

Hi fingon,
ZZZ one final question - do the voices always talk to DD, or do they ever talk to each other? - no , just one voice at a time.

And do they ever talk about her, rather than directly to her? I.e. do they say "we like DD" or "DD is a friend". - no, just her name or I am here, come here (2x)

Do they describe what she is doing "she is washing up now", "she is having a shower"? - no

Do they describe her feelings, either before or after she feels them? - no

Do they tell her to do anything other than "come here"? - no, nver

Does she ever hear music or noises rather than voices? - no except once she heard dh come home from work in the middle of the day, except he wasn't there, he did come in half an hour later though which was unexpected. Only time I remember something like that.

No, she doesn't see things that aren't there or feel them, smell them etc.

(Thank goodness really!)

ZZZenAgain Wed 19-Jan-11 07:45:07

I do feel the presence of my mother shabba and carrots, not all the time and sometimes very strongly and it feels like she is trying to tell me something, like there is a kind of persistant urgency to it, other times I just feel her there. It comforts me, maybe that is an emotional hallucination and a way of coping with her death, I am not really sure.

I felt her leave. I was sitting outside with my dd and I felt something like a tear in my chest and saw a big flash of light and I just knew she had died. Came home and there was a message from my dad on the answering machine, sobbing that she had just died. Very sad, we were to leave the next day to be with her, we knew she had cancer and was deteriorating but we thought she had maybe 6 months left, it happened so fast the whole thing. I don't know much about this kind of thing but when mum died my aunt told me to expect visits. She said she often felt the presence of her own mother, when she did not expect it, so I can imagine how very strong it must be for you shabba. I can't explain this type of thing personally.

Indigo I can speak to the Archangel Michael as you did, I don't usually communicate with angels in any way but I would feel comfortable doing that and I could try and speak to a priest about it but my own is a bit staid. I am not sure about that. I do know there is an Indian priest near here who does sort of Holy Spirit sessions, prayer, song, healing etc. Maybe I could talk to him.

ZZZenAgain Wed 19-Jan-11 07:45:23

will have a look for Doreen Virtue on youtube.

FingonTheValiant Wed 19-Jan-11 09:58:53

I've heard before of people smelling lilies before? I think it's lovely.

I've always felt very happy with Archangel Michael, I'm sure he'd help.

ZZZ the fact that it's a "no" to all those other things is a very good sign. They are all much more closely linked with mental health problems.

Indigo please don't let that worry you, you've already said you're very spiritual, and people who are tuned in to spirits and angels often say they experience these things.

I think regardless of whether you believe these things or not, maybe watching or reading some things about spirits (avoid the ghosty scary stuff) will reassure her and give her a reason, and maybe some coping strategies if she is finding it confusing. I think you being accepting and calm about it will be the best thing to reassure her though. It's great that she's told you.

I never told my parents about my sleep disturbances because I thought I was going mad (turned out I had sleep paralysis, which involves from very freaky hallucinatory type experiences). The result is that years later I'm finally having to deal with it with therapy

Hope you and your DD get on well with your new approach

ZZZenAgain Wed 19-Jan-11 11:26:37

thanks flingon, well I have no knowledge of spirits/angels or indeed hallucinations so something new for me to find out about!

Those of you who feel they interact with spirits/angels , could I ask how you know this is safe and when you can tell if this is "good", say benevolent spirit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now