Talk

Advanced search

Tai chi for beginners any good websites.

(5 Posts)
Maybee Sat 15-Jan-11 21:50:46

I'd love to practice tai chi but have just become a single parent so can't go to any courses. Can anyone recommend a site or book to get me started?
Thanks

stressedHEmum Sun 16-Jan-11 17:25:17

My DS2 has practiced Tai-Chi for a few years. He started of with this and says it's good for beginners.

Maybee Sun 16-Jan-11 21:04:41

Thanks a lot stressed-looks promising

cockneydad Tue 18-Jan-11 14:59:19

Tai chi forms (the complex set of movements) can be learnt from books / dvds, but in my experience (over 10 years worth) it is very very difficult. If you are interested in Tai Chi for health then you might want to consider Chi Kung (also spelt qigong) - these are individual exercises largely taken from Tai Chi forms but are a bit easier to learn. Some aspects of Chi Kung also involve standing meditation, which is good. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_kung - Master Lam Kam Chuen is very good, he has written books called 'The Way of Healing', 'The Way of Energy' they are on amazon. Hope that helps!

BritishTaiChi Thu 12-Oct-17 14:20:56

Have a look at www.britishtaichi.club
click on the students button and you'll find a page of different bits that will help. The feet exercise is the first thing I get beginners to do, as it help get you moving. But beware it can become addictive and I have found my self doing it in "white stuff" whilst my wife is shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now