Talk

Advanced search

VicarishAllsorts

(12 Posts)
VicarishAllsorts Tue 28-Dec-10 23:19:25

Hello, I am a regular on Mnet but have name changed as my nickename is well known in RL and I am not ready to discuss this without anonymity yet!

I feel like I want to be a Vicar, or more specifically that I need to be a Vicar. I am Catholic but have been praying for months for God to show me what he wants me to do. I have felt for a very long time that He wanted me to do something.

A few years ago I did tentatively mention to my parish priest that I felt I could do more and he said that maybe I could "read the bidding prayers sometimes". I have done this and also ran the childrens liturgy and Brownies but it still doesn't feel enough.

I lie awake at night listening to what I believe is the Holy Spirit telling me to Just do it. But how on earth do I start?

My DH is very supportive (he is CofE) and suggests that I need to go and talk to my Parish priest again and also a CofE priest but what if they think I am mad?

Or think that I am terribly presumptuous for thinking that I am being called?

I am currently working in a senior NHS position and I thought I would be happy with this until I retire in another 25years!!

I would appreciate any help or advice, thanks.

LittlePushka Tue 28-Dec-10 23:39:09

Firstly keep the name change - dont know what you were before but I love the new you!! (Considered name changing to DovefromAbove specifically for this reply as encouragement...wink.

Secondly honey, if you got an itch, you have to scratch it when it becomes no longer bearable to ignore, not when you are given permission. If you feel you need to do this, then you must do it. If you have a further 25 years to go you must be similar age to me and it is a perfect time of life to embrace change.

I know God speaks to people in different ways but I also know that what you feel does not need to be ratified by anybody but you and Him.

One life here on Earth - you should grab that feeling inside and run with it. I really hope you do and that you find massive support on the way. God bless you in that journey and I shall pray for you,...He will know who I mean, despite your name change.

MrsCadwallader Wed 29-Dec-10 10:31:44

Go for it!

Your local priests will not think you are mad. In fact, out of anyone, they are the ones most likely to understand how you feel because they will have gone through similar.

That said - listen to any advice they give you and take it on board. You might feel that God has laid a path very clearly before you, but you need to be prepared to be taken in a direction you were not expecting once you have taken the first few steps (does that make sense? What I mean is that the people you speak to may have other ideas or suggestions and you must listen to them and not dismiss them just because it doesn't tally with your idea of what God wants from you) (I might be going round in circles here confused)

But definitely go for it! Take courage - God is on your side

(and yes - keep the screen name. I love it!)

VicarishAllsorts Wed 29-Dec-10 18:15:51

Oh Thankyou both so very much for your encouragement.

I have been at work today, so I am sorry that I wasn't able to reply sooner.

You are both right, I will go and talk to some clergy and listen to what they have to say!

HallelujahHeisBorntoMary Wed 29-Dec-10 20:26:45

Not sure if you are familiar with the website ship of fools, but they have a thread specifically for people discerning a call to ordained ministry. You would get lots of useful advice on there.

Ship of fools thread

I wouldn't speak to your parish priest, unless he is particularly enlightened, I can't see him being supportive of a woman looking to become a priest, particularly in the light of what the Pope said on the subject! But speak to your DH's vicar.

(incidently, I am a former RC, now a C of E lay minister - a sort of unordained deacon, if you've not come across us, and know what its like to feel call to ministry!)

God bless you!

LittlePushka Wed 29-Dec-10 21:36:41

OS I agree with Hallelujah above - unles you know your local priest is pro women, you may get short shrift, allbeit very diplomatically. Are there any female ministers locally you can go chat with I wonder? Anyway, once again good luck and every blessing to you!

nickelbabyjesus Thu 30-Dec-10 12:28:25

I agree too - Catholics don't like the idea of women being ordained, so he's likely to say that God has already given you your tasks...

Speak to a CofE priest, and speak to women priests, especially.

I'll PM you with someone's details of a woman priest I know.

It will mean having to change to CofE, and that's quite big for a Catholic.

madangelhaironchristmasday Thu 30-Dec-10 16:45:35

Also loving your username, Vicarish.

Just to agree with the others, it sounds like someone up there is having a little nudge at you about all this. No harm to pursue it and see where it takes you, I would advise an open mind as to where it will end up, and see the journey as a positive adventure. Exciting stuff - all the best to you

teddies Thu 30-Dec-10 16:57:28

Here are some links you might find useful
Ministry in the Church of England
Call Waiting

I second the ship of fools one - some very useful stuff on that thread. Good luck, come back and tell us how you get on. grin

VicarishAllsorts Fri 31-Dec-10 17:44:41

Thankyou everyone!

I am prepared for my RC priests reaction, he does indeed have a tendency to think that a womens ministry is a motherly one but he is a good man and he has lent me a lot of books in the past. A while back he did encourage me to think about applying for a theology degree as he thought I might make a good teacher.

I am fairly familiar with the CofE already as my father was CofE as is DH. I feel at home in both Churches but if I am totally honest there are some aspects of Catholicism that do concern me (eg. I have never really felt the true presence in the Eucharist, even though I have asked God for help with this many times) However it is not because I have reservations that I am considering moving on, its just this nagging little voice within myself.

I thought of a back up plan yesterday! If the CofE do not feel that I am right for them I think I will try to open a Christian cafe as a sort of little community hub. DH is prepared to back me financially with this and we would obviously plough the proceeds back into something useful.

I know God will guide me smile

AuntieDoris Fri 31-Dec-10 18:04:04

I have just popped into this thread for a little look-see. I would second a look at the Ship of Fools. I have been on it for many years and it is a fabulous place to get support and info.

LittlePushka Fri 31-Dec-10 22:53:37

Vicarishallsorts - undoubtedly you resisted the urge to twat him one,.. your priest, I mean,.. not God you understand wink.

Love the idea of the cafe but how much better would it be to become ordained and minister from a cafe??!! I would really enjoy going to lunch, for example, in an ordinary every day place that is readily accessible and part of every day life to break bread with folk and God and also to be able to take communion other than in a bloomin church. To me a cafe with a ministry would normalise the Christian faith!

Anyway - I hope you run with your ideas and good luck to you and your family with them.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now