Talk

Advanced search

can someone explain something to a dim lapsed Catholic please...

(17 Posts)
headfairy Wed 22-Dec-10 19:05:05

I went to a Catholic Convent school so my religious education consisted basically of whatever the vatican decided (sorry, that's a bit flippant) so I know nothing of other religions. Why don't Jews celebrate Christmas if Jesus was Jewish? Sorry if that's really dim. Don't just tell me it's because it's a Christian celebration, why isn't it a Jewish one too?

Abr1de Wed 22-Dec-10 19:11:13

Jews don't believe Jesus is the Messiah. So they have no reason to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

expatinscotland Wed 22-Dec-10 19:12:21

Jesus is a prophet to those of Jewish faith and not the Messiah.

SantasNutellaFairy Wed 22-Dec-10 19:12:35

Jews follow everything before Christ. Christians follow a version of the Old Jewish Books plus the Gospels and everything afterwards.

The Jews are hardly going to celebrate someone they thought of as a troublemaker are they? grin

He would probably end up on counter-terrorism lists if he lived now!

TheFowlAndThePussycat Wed 22-Dec-10 19:14:17

Because whilst Jesus was Jewish only some Jews at the time believed that he was the Messiah that was promised to them & therefore became early Christians. Others then, and Jews now don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah, therefore his birth is not a religious celebration like it is for Christians. One of the most important debates in the early church was whether you first had to convert to Judaism in order to become a Christian. Paul said you didn't & that is what eventually became the doctrine of the church. Not a stupid question IMO.

headfairy Wed 22-Dec-10 19:15:41

Oh thanks for that, that's very interesting. Just thought of it because I'm watching the nativity on BBC1. I'm sure my mum would be horrified if I asked her, she thinks I had a good education

SantasNutellaFairy Wed 22-Dec-10 19:17:07

I have met a few people who say stupid things about Jesus.

Such as He was a Christian.grin

SantasNutellaFairy Wed 22-Dec-10 19:17:35

Your question wasn't stupid.

RectalNourishment Wed 22-Dec-10 19:20:56

anyway none of us are lapsed apparently, we are 'resting'

can I ask a question though? What are these new 'luminous mysteries' about? What are they FOR?

headfairy Wed 22-Dec-10 20:17:31

thanks Nutella

never heard of them rectal...

WisteriaWoman Wed 22-Dec-10 22:04:04

Head - no such thing as a silly question.
Here's Wikipedia's answer to your question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Juda ism

I was 14 before I found out the Pope wasn't married. Nobody had thought to mention it to me even though I went to RC church!

If you want to find out more about different religions the BBC website is a good starting point:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/

BTW here's some "useless" info it was the 1960's before the Pope "forgave" the Jewish people for the death of Jesus. angry

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Wed 22-Dec-10 22:10:44

Luminous mysteries are to celebrate Jesus' public events like his baptism. New things to think about and not nod off

WisteriaWoman Wed 22-Dec-10 22:20:36

Rectal - how did you ever think up that name?

stillbobbysgirl Wed 22-Dec-10 22:23:28

I consider myself more of a collapsed than lapsed Catholic these days.

RectalNourishment Thu 23-Dec-10 19:36:20

Wisteria - it was in a 1904 Canadian something paper about appendicitis something. Is just my seasonal name, will think of something better after Christmas.

WisteriaWoman Thu 23-Dec-10 22:48:25

Rectal - a brilliant name and such a weird story. I just can't work out the link between appendicitis and rectal nourishment.. but then I'm not Canadian! confused

RectalNourishment Fri 24-Dec-10 16:45:39

Here you go! rectal nourishment appendicitis think that might be it - merry Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now