Talk

Advanced search

Tis the first Sunday of Advent...

(8 Posts)
MissMashMissMash Sun 28-Nov-10 13:31:27

and I was wondering what everyones advent traditions are. When I was younger we used to light candles on each sunday of advent and eat chocolates. I know some Churches do the advent candle thing too (and Blue Peter!). This year instead of having an advent calender I'm going to have an advent bible verse and chocolate coin every day of advent and a Christmas Carol to read/listen to and reflect on. Anyone know of a program of advent bible verses to follow?

DandyDan Mon 29-Nov-10 07:35:37

There are a variety of advent books - usually very small! because needing only 24 or 28 pages - I remember using Delia Smith's Advent book many years ago but there are lots about if you look in your local Christan bookshop or on Amazon.

Most churches will have advent candles which they light in the run-up to Xmas Day.

At home we have an Advent Wreath, which I make with yew and holly and small candles set in Christmas Tree candle clips. We light this for a bit each Sunday lunchtime; once December begins we have advent calendars and an Advent candle which we light in the evening.

On Advent Sunday (yesterday) the kids write their letters to Father Christmas and put them on the fire to send the smoke to FC.

DandyDan Mon 29-Nov-10 07:37:11

Here's one book our church is promoting -
Do Nothing - Christmas is Coming by Steven Cottrell

madhairday Mon 29-Nov-10 14:16:28

We have this advent pack this year which has an advent calendar with pics but also a little book with some thoughts, bible verses, things to do and prayers for each day, in a family friendly format. We'll start it on wednesday. It looks really good.

We love advent and do lots. We have an advent crown with the 4 candles plus the christmas day candle. Also have a countdown candle where you light it for every day. Then the advent calendars - picture ones and chocolate ones, and also a playmobil nativity which we set up a little each day thinking about the story. It's lovely to see the dcs light up with expectation every day and what advent is all about - waiting for something exciting.

KayHarker Mon 29-Nov-10 15:45:40

We do a Jesse tree with a foot high fake tree and homemade ornaments. It traces the history of salvation right from creation, through the fall and throughout the biblical account all the way up to Jesus.

madhairday Mon 29-Nov-10 18:12:10

That sounds interesting Kay, do you have a link for how it works exactly? How are you btw, haven't seen you around in a while.

DandyDan Mon 29-Nov-10 23:06:19

We did Jesse trees for a few years about 10-15 years back (not knocking them - I think they're a great idea). I think it was easier before the lectionary changed and the church stopped having Eight Sundays Before Christmas etc with all the themes that used to get worked out via the readings and the Jesse Tree icons: Creation, The Fall, Abraham Offering Isaac, The Exile and the Remnant, John the Baptist etc.

There are a lot of ideas for Advent images for the Jesse tree within the Advent Antiphons as well, the "O" antiphons that you get in things like in the verses of "O Come O Come Emmanuel"

KayHarker Tue 30-Nov-10 19:11:06

A quick google came up with this. We use something I found a few years ago and can't remember where from. They're all much of a muchness. It's a nice thing the kids enjoy, which is why we do it.

Not been about much, I was incognito for a while , but I'm so busy atm with Christmas and HEing I hardly have any time for MN if you can believe it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now