Talk

Advanced search

I feel my Dad's presence around me alot....

(10 Posts)
DrNortherner Sun 21-Nov-10 19:31:54

My wonderful Dad died in April 2009. I was very close to him, and have been a bit of a mess since he died.

Anyway, I would nt consider myself to be a religious person or a spiritual person but I do feel his presence around me lots.

In many situations I just know what he would be saying, how he would be laughing or what would make him cross. I have learnt to take comfort from that.

In the early days I dreamt about him lots, but they seem to have stopped now.

Do you think it's just because I knew him so well or is it really his soul?

I am interested in exploring this now.

RuthChan Sun 21-Nov-10 20:32:40

I'm so sorry about the death of your father.
However, you are so lucky that you feel him with you!
I lost my Mum the best part of 20 years ago, but I have never felt her in any tangible way.
My DH on the other hand often feels his great grandmother with him.
He considers her to be his guiding spirit and guardian angel, helping him to make important decisions and supporting him. My DH would most definitely say that your are feeling your Dad's spirit with you.

It is sad that you lost your Dad, but I hope you can take strength and solace from the fact that he is still with you in spirit.

everlong Mon 22-Nov-10 18:30:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrNortherner Mon 22-Nov-10 18:39:29

Thank you guys. Everlong I am very sorry you lost your son.

<teary smile>

woolymindy Mon 22-Nov-10 18:44:24

I don't know why you can feel this but if it is comforting to you then you should just enjoy. I lost my Mummy 8 years ago after a horrible long illness and I have only felt her around me a couple of times - that said, these were really profound dream like things in which I felt her really close.

I think that the most important thing is not to dissect this feeling too much. What you have to remember is that if you were the one who had passed and you had a way to reach out to the ones you love, you would take that chance. I prefer to think that this is your Dad taking that chance to be close to you again.

Truthfully, you will never ever know, this sort of thing is one of the great mysteries in life and probably you will not know the answer until you have passed away yourself.

You loved him and were loved in his lifetime and there is no reason why that love should be any different after someone physically dies.

DrNortherner Mon 22-Nov-10 18:47:51

Oh God, am weepy now! In a nice way.

I was just clearing up after dinner and a good song came on the ipod, I did a silly little dance and could just feel my Dad in there singing and dancing with me too, he liked a laugh my Dad. I stopped dancing and told him I love him.

Lordy, I sound like a nutter.

everlong Mon 22-Nov-10 18:50:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

indigobarbie Sun 28-Nov-10 22:21:54

DrNortherner, I have been going through the exact same thing myself. My Dad died March this year, and since then I have had lots of signs/dreams etc I think sometimes these can be so subtle that they might be missed by some people.

He was my most favourite person in the whole world. I was so lucky to have him be my Dad. Sometimes I have to remind myself that he is actually not here anymore. I think it's a good day when I forget he is gone and a bad day when I remember. I am who I am, because he was who he was, and I'm so grateful.

I talk to him in my mind almost everyday, sometimes I hear him talk back and other times I just see him in my mind's eye. Sometimes there are songs, or moments like you said, hearing or thinking what he might have said in a situation.

Recently I asked him for help with finding a new car. I went to look at one, but wasn't sure. I went to look at another one, and I phoned the Garage to make enquiries. The man who answered the phone had the same name as my father. I take this as his helping hand from wherever he is in the universe. This is just one of many things I could list.

Due to my own experiences I believe that we don't die and that our essence/soul lives on. I suppose, in a way, it doesn't actually matter what happens, it's that we make the most of the time we have here.

FWIW my awareness has increased since being attuned to reiki many years ago.
Big Hugs x

sh77 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:30:16

So sorry for the loss of your dear father. I know how you feel. I lost my daughter in April 2009. Like you, in the early days, I saw her in my dreams. I haven't seen her in person for a while but a few times, I have seen beautiful flowers. Last night, I dreamt that my hubby and I were driving through the gave yard and it was snowing. At the head of her grave, there was a vase filled with the freshest and beautiful roses. In my dream, I thought to myself that she knows nobody visits her grave (even though we have a big family in the town she is buried, nobody visits - really upsets me in real life) and so she kept the flowers we brought to her last time we visited fresh.

I know she sends me flowers in my dreams. Only you know what you feel. Your dad will always be with you.

NemoTheRedNosedFish Mon 06-Dec-10 21:34:27

Hi DrNortherner

My dad died last month. Like yourself and others on this thread, I can hear him 'talk' in my head, see him in my minds eye and so on. At first I found this confusing to be honest!

I thought to myself as a lay down for a nap on a spa day (oooh get me! grin) that I wished it would be more 'physical,' eg, that I would see soemthing happen and know it was him. But then I thought I would probably manage to explain it away, as I am short sighted, currently on medication that could cause me to have mild hallucinations (hasn't so far, but you never know). Then I 'felt' my dad stroke my arm and say 'okay, sleep now Nemo.'

Got home after my spa day to a puzzled dh, who had been doing the ironing (about half an hour after I started my nap) and couldn't understand why the plug point switch kept turning itself off when he wasn't looking. This happened twice. He asked me if it could be anything to do with the trip switch, I said no, the trip switch would go at the fuse box, not the plug. The plug switch has to be physically flicked off and on as far as I know.

Thanks dad smile

I did use to think that it was just my mind 'comforting' itself with the idea of loved ones close by, but now so much has happened, and I have had so much help from them, that I have to accept that something is going on and it's not confined to my own delusional mind wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now