Talk

Advanced search

stupid self help type mantras that drive you crazy

(13 Posts)
grumpyvamps Fri 12-Nov-10 13:11:24

because if my mother says, one more time, 'nobody can make you feel unhappy, it's how you choose to react' I will make her feel very sad....grin Honestly, people are quite capable of making me feel crap, and I don't see how grinning madly would make me feel better when a friend cancels/ whatever. The other one is how having a positive attitude beats cancer. Like my dad should have just smiled more during chemo (before he died at a young age). Feeling better now.

grumpyvamps Fri 12-Nov-10 13:24:25

talk to me!

aurorastargazer Fri 12-Nov-10 20:28:05

gawd i hate that too lol

grumpypants Sat 13-Nov-10 18:33:25

Thank you!

aurorastargazer Mon 15-Nov-10 12:03:52

the current one my dp says 'you have to feel positive about things' yes, i know that but what i want to know is him feeling the same grin

rivi Mon 15-Nov-10 13:59:00

"I must I must I must improve my bust" that one has stayed with me since the 80s and I cant get it out of my head. Bust headed down no matter what I did though.

scattercushion Mon 15-Nov-10 14:03:39

the positive thinking yourself better from cancer thing is absolute balls - my dad was a doctor and was grimly gleeful about telling us this when he was dying of cancer. The only reason people want you to think positively is because they're tired of seeing you down in the dumps.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade is also irritating. What's wrong with lemons?

grumpypants Mon 15-Nov-10 18:01:46

God yeah, that's a recent, meaningless, one. Any kind of slogan actually {grumpy lives up to username}

MaryBS Mon 15-Nov-10 19:19:21

"If its to be its up to me"

HATE it!

gingercurl Mon 15-Nov-10 20:27:15

I used to work with someone who kept saying, "Cheer up! It can't be that bad." It really used to grate on me. I really had a go at him when he said it when I was looking sad after my sister called to tell me that our mother's cancer had spread to her liver. Idiot!

MaryBS Tue 16-Nov-10 14:50:27

Or "cheer up it may never happen". Excuse me it just did!

elsiemarley Tue 16-Nov-10 20:03:27

I too hate the positive thinking can make you better from cancer scatter...like the people who have died from it just weren't positive enough danm it.

'Life is what you make it' also grates.

Personally I like, 'you can't polish a turd', particularly when I am in a bad mood.

nemofish Tue 16-Nov-10 21:17:18

'whether you think you're a winner or a loser, you're probably right'

'winners never quit and quitters never win'

Just 2 of the gems of wisdom shared by my aerobics teahcer, at the end of every killer 2 hour session. I used to mutter 'oh fuck off' and shuffle off clutching my aching abs. Left the class because it did my head in!

And although I am fond of most alternative therapies myself, it pisses me off to hear the theory spouted that people get cancer because they were in some way 'negative' about themselves or their bodies. I don't think that's provable, and in any case, not very bleedin helpful. Nor can you say to people 'don't be negative cos you will get cancer.' Sometimes, you get cancer because the bad shit likes to happen.

And also
'turn the other cheek' - really and get that one slapped as well? I think this translates, to me, as 'put up with bullying.'

On the other hand 'two wrongs don't make a right' was a favourite of my Nana's and she related it to wanting to lash out because someone hurt you - might be 'justified,' but that doesn't make it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now